1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Which CD only release would you like on vinyl.

Discussion in 'music' started by blossomchris, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Rant by Ian Hunter (& the Rant Band) from 2001.
    Awesome album, and still going strong at 78!
  2. rdf

rdf pfm Member

"The Long Goodbye" by The Essex Green.
  3. GJO

GJO pfm Member

Everything Eric Bibb released only on CD.
  4. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

2 v N by Steely Dan. The original vinyl release goes for silly money.
  5. Pigmy Pony

Pigmy Pony New Member

'Up' by Stanley Clark-if you can't afford to have a world class bassist come to your house, this is a good second best Someone may say 'Yes you can get it on vinyl', but I couldn't find it
  6. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

John Coltrane - Complete Live at the Village Vanguard - AAA, Analogue Productions style. It would probably stretch to 8 or 9 LPs, so I’ll start saving my pennies now.
  7. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

Kyle Eastwood, Paris Blue. Just some very listenable music.
  8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Definitely exists, I know as I have it! A few copies on Discogs, not cheap for a nice one, but it is definitely a thing.

I had a copy and it is a lovely quiet flat pressing, though to my ears it sounds just the same as the CD (i.e. very good indeed). I used to use it to tune my deck to the CD player, but once I realised how much it was worth I let it go. I’m perfectly happy with the CD!
  9. kendo

kendo gloominati

Care to part with it, Tony...hmmm? ;)

(Is it of similair pressing quality as other Factory Durutti Column LPs?
    ie, not great?)
  10. guey

guey pfm Member

I've got that on vinyl, and the The Together Mix 12". Pretty sure it's not a promo.

eta - Discogs says it came out on vinyl.
  11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m far from complete on DC (I have about 6 or the albums) but I really like it so wouldn’t want to shift it. I really like the mastering and pressing quality of all the Factory stuff I have, but as ever with ‘80s pop/rock you need to find copies that were initially bought by people like me who dropped the vinyl straight into a Nagaoka inner to protect it from inevitable damage from the hard card inner. Obey The Time has a known issue, at least I've heard several people report it, and that is a jump/stick on the last track on one side. I haven’t played my (absolutely mint) copy for a while but I always remember it having it.
  12. kendo

kendo gloominati

(...if you do find another copy 'though, I would snap it up! Their albums seldom turn up around here in Dundee, not mainstream or obscure enough for the visiting record fairs, alas.)
  13. guey

guey pfm Member

Yup, I seem to remember a pressing flaw on mine.
    You've got me looking at the Factory Too CD reissue (where I spotted the TG&OM reissue I've just posted about)
  14. Citroen2CV

Citroen2CV pfm Member

The only problem with that though is that they don't fit the lp format, most being around an hour long track. Even Aquatic with track 1 being around 27 minutes is pushing it for the format.
  15. blossomchris

blossomchris I am not searching, I know what I am looking for.

Good point. Yes I agree, 17-20mins max per side.
    This is fairly typical for me dreaming before considering practicalities.

16. Yveski

Yveski In the sky......

I would like those late steely dan albums and the last two Boston lps