1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Which CD only release would you like on vinyl.

Discussion in 'music' started by blossomchris, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Ton

Ton New Member

I know its not listed on Discogs,

2. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Joni Mitchell... "Turbulent Indigo" please.

And as someone has already said, David Grey "White Ladder"

3. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

George Michael - 'Older' L.P.

The scarce copies are expensive and the mastering and pressing could be improved.

I have no idea why it has not been re-released

RichShortland likes this.
  4. stefane

stefane pfm Member

I would love to see a (re-)release of the 3 albums of The Be Good Tanyas.
    They were a Canadian all-female folk music group (including Frazey Ford, Trish Klein and Samantha Parton), and released 3 records between 2000 and 2006.

Their first album "Blue Horse" saw release as CD in 2000.
    In 2011 Nettwerk released a limited double LP deluxe edition which is trading for incredible prices these days.

"Chinatown" followed as their second album in 2003, released on CD only.

Their third and final album "Hello Love" (2006) was initially released on CD and LP. However, the vinyl is very hard to find.

5. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

Suzanne Vega, Nine Objects of Desire

6. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

The Go-Betweens - Oceans Apart

I'd settle for a decent CD remastering to be honest - One of the worst sounding recordings I've come across.

7. stefane

stefane pfm Member

Would like to see several albums from the Iowa folk musician Greg Brown released on vinyl:

Dream Café (1992)
    Further In (1996)
    Slant 6 Mind (1997)

All these records were originally released on CD on Red House, and feature Bo Ramsey on second guitar.

Hook likes this.
  8. PIANISTE88

PIANISTE88 New Member

Releases that are not even on CD such as Yuja WANG playing Gershwin, hours of music available only as TV releases.

9. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Also worth noting that many studios are working in hi res digital, and if so of course they down-sample to 16/44 for CD. The vinyl release can (!) go from hi res straight to analogue.

Digital only here, I usually buy hi res downloads when available.

Putting it all together, I'm guessing there are some cases where the only way to get hold of the digital hi-res is on vinyl!

10. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

Brassed Off, OST. And a remaster, if it improves the sound.

11. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Concerto de Orange Juice, IIRC?

12. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

Nils Petter Molvaer - Khmer

13. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

Indeed, the very same.

darrenyeats likes this.
  14. stefane

stefane pfm Member

Chris & Carla - Life Full of Holes

The 1995 album of The Walkabouts' Chris Eckman and Carla Torgerson.
    Their masterpiece under the "Chris & Carla" moniker.

Includes such phantastic songs like "Death at Low Water", "Take Me", "Sleep Will Pass Us By", "The Silent Crossing", "Life Full of Holes", "Velvet Fog" and "Never Gonna Fall".

The CD sounds great.
    Would love to see that on vinyl, which will never happen, I suppose.

15. stefane

stefane pfm Member

Would like to see two albums from the Sydney rock band The Cruel Sea released on vinyl:

The Honeymoon Is Over (1993)
    Three Legged Dog (1995)

These records were originally released on CD on Red Eye Records (later acquired by Polydor).

16. Paddy

Paddy pfm Member

I have it on vinyl

17. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

But cut from analogue tapes.

18. stefane

stefane pfm Member

Would love to see a vinyl release of the first 3 albums by the Detroit/Michigan alt-country band Deadstring Brothers.

Their recent albums "São Paulo" (2009) and "Cannery Row" (2013) were released on vinyl, on Bloodshot Records.
    However, their debut "Deadstring Brothers" (Times Beach, 2003), sophomore album "Starving Winter Report" (Bloodshot, 2005) and third album "Silver Mountain" (Bloodshot, 2007) are only available on CD. Especially their debut and second album are very good.

19. palasr

palasr >>>...<<<

Both albums by Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos

20. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

Glad it's not just me. A wonderful collection of brass band music irrespective of the film release, but I thought a tweeter had blown or part of my stereo had a fault the number of times it was distorting, clipping etc. After much testing and switching of cables I realised it's on the CD. Wouldn't surprise me if the technical guys weren't experienced in the huge and often sudden dynamic changes in brass band music.