1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Which DAC HAT for Raspberry Pi?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Nic Robinson, May 13, 2019.

1. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I've bought another pi for the holiday place which will run volumio. The rest of the system is Quad 33/303 and Spendor SP2 - so relaxing holiday listening the order of the day!

Can anyone recommend a suitable dac hat? Just Boom seems well recommended for £30 but I'm in the dark as to the actual SQ credentials of these things.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nic.

2. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

3. saturn9

saturn9 vita umbratilis

I use IQaudio hats and they are very good. Haven't tried Hifiberry or Allo but they are also well thought of. But for the money, just go for it.

4. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

Another recommendation for the IQaudio. :)

5. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Thanks guys. I must admit that's the one I fancy...I'll leave it a day to check but will pull the trigger.

What an age we live in!

6. i.j.russell

i.j.russell pfm Member

High levels of competition in the market mean there aren’t any bad ones out there. Personally i’d Pay a bit extra and get the Allo Boss 1.2.

7. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Have you compared that with any others? Looks impressive and I don't mind spending a bit more...

8. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

IQ Audio for me.
    Haven't tried a Boss but Piano2.1 and Kali sounded poor to me.

On my recomendation a friend bought an IQAudio DAC Pro and was shocked that it beat his CDP, which has 4 TDA1541s inside!

9. i.j.russell

i.j.russell pfm Member

I preferred it to the HifiBerry. I haven't tried the IQAudio. As I said, there really aren't any bad ones out there.

A possible advantage of the Allo is the ability to add an Isolator board at a later date to further improve the sound.

10. smegger68

smegger68 Mango Enthusiast

Got an Allo Boss on mine, noticeably better than the HiFi Berry that was on there before.

11. Ali T

Ali T pfm Member

Not heard one myself, but the Katana is supposed to be very good, albeit at a price.

12. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Whatever one you get, get one with 2x crystals on board, so it can sidestep the normal Raspberry Pi clocking issues.

tomek likes this.
  13. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Examples being?

14. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Allo Boss, Allo Katana, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro...

15. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

In the end I went for the IQaudIO as a) there was no hassle getting one quickly (24 hours) and b) £30!!

It's now installed and playing through my home system of JVC AX-Z1010TN and Kef 103/2. I'm absolutely delighted with this superb sounding little bit of kit and I know it'll be prefect for the holiday place's Quad/Spendor setup.

What a world we live in when a high quality source capable of playing radio from around the world, plus my flac collection, can be put together for a total of £60!

brumjam, saturn9 and i.j.russell like this.
  16. saturn9

saturn9 vita umbratilis

It really is amazing. Glad you are pleased with it.

17. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

That's the one I have. My first one, but it seems comparable to my old Beresford 7510 with a digital source.

18. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I didn't get on so well with the 7510 when I had one in my (then Linn/Naim) system years ago. I hope I don't find the sound of this thing as fatiguing!

19. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I use iancanada's fifopi, dual ess 9038qm and iv board, not cheap but it's almost as good as my Brooklyn at 1/3 the price. With a few mods I reckon itll show it a clean pair of heels.

20. suzywong

suzywong pfm Member

Got a link to ian’s Stuff?