1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

which HiFi companies make simple, good value products?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rockmeister, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Just over Linn bashing again (joking ofc) when I wondered which HiFi companies did NOT:
    Make foo.
    Charge more than was needed, and
    suggest you add on more of their stuff to make your purchase 'better'.

And did:
    Still make it look decent enough,
    make it sound great, and
    make you feel they will help if there's ever trouble?

See I was thinking the Linn philosophy is fine for the wealthy...just spend more, who cares?
    But for 'us' wot is less well funded...who do we trust with our cash?

I mean new, for the sake of this thread. Which company making new HiFi is honest VFM?
    That's the question.

Your question will be, well what kind of price is reasonable...we are all different, so my answer is, less than £1500 for any one unit of kit, cables excluded.

Big Tabs and MVJ like this.
  2. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

tisbury audio , schiit audio , project audio

Rockmeister likes this.
  3. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

Rega stuff always looks good value to me though I've only ever bought one of their turntables, back in the 80s...

sean99 and Rockmeister like this.
  4. Shadders

Shadders pfm Member

Hi,
    Cambridge Audio amplifiers, Audiolab kit - all from experience.
    Perceptibly - NAD, Rotel.
    Regards,
    Shadders.

Rockmeister likes this.
  5. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Exposure and NVA, from my own experience.

Wilson, sq225917 and Rockmeister like this.
  6. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

Exposure, NAD, Rega, most Pro-ject.

7. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Michell?

Rockmeister and MVJ like this.
  8. Stemcor

Stemcor I should be listening to music

Rega, Teddy Pardo and NVA (but you knew I would say that).

naimplayer and Rockmeister like this.
  9. SteveH

SteveH pfm Member

Rega again.

MVJ likes this.
  10. MVJ

MVJ madvinyljunkie,Professional Plonker & PFM Member

Rega again, Project again, Michell again, ok so I'm a copycat. :rolleyes:

11. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Rega too for me. I think KEF, despite the very high end stuff, do superb stuff at the modest end. AudioTechnica seem to be foo free in all things analogue, and Goldring have always been my go to MM cartridge benchmark, making really excellent sounds for not much at all. Otherwise two Japanese makers I always trust on a budget are Denon and Onyko. Both make simple, good music stuff for not much.

12. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Heed makes some nice, relatively inexpensive great sounding kit. I would probably even add Sonneteer to that as well.

Andrew C! likes this.
  13. KeithL

KeithL pfm Member

Roksan, Creek, Luxman, Audio Technica

14. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

Marantz seem to provide value for money along with reliability and good build quality.

As already claimed, NAD certainly score high on vfm and sound per pound (or whatever the phrase is).

15. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Quad, ATC, Yamaha...

16. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Avondale fit the brief .

17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

90% of the population would think £1500 for a single item of hi fi to be utterly ludicrous extravagance.

busb, booja30 and naimplayer like this.
  18. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

Rega again.

19. MVJ

MVJ madvinyljunkie,Professional Plonker & PFM Member

Benz make some cracking carts for sensible money...

Fretbuzz likes this.
  20. raysablade

raysablade pfm Member

With a thoughly competent £30 source on offer to everyone it would be churlish not to include Google. Whilst i don't think that " they will help if there's ever trouble?" The R&D and software engineering resources at the whole world's disposal mean that I don't need a personal service.

Interestingly enough I was at a dealers this morning looking at £170,000 work of Naim Statement in 3 enormous transit cases on the floor. Apparently as part of their service to retailers Naim supply a special tractor to negotiate the stairs on the way to first floor listening rooms. I know its stupid but that little detail placed it on a suitably high plane in my mind to make it lottery win desirable. Whilst clearly doesn't fit the £1500 criteria I'm sure the Statement is better "value" than a cable at 1% of that price. And the OP will be delighted to learn that you don't need to add a power supply or a NAPSC to realise its full potential.;)

I was at the dealers to weigh up options that included a Chord Cute2. Don't let on, but the engineering beauty of the thing I held on my hand held up very well against the LP12 sitting beside it and had me sold at well above what they were charging before i had even heard it.

The best value products are things that sit happily with your heart as well as your head at any price. If I won the lottery I could see a
    • CCA
    • 2 Cute
    • Statement

system making me very happy. If it could be persuaded to play with my beloved 30 year old KEF C10s and the RP3, for a few minutes at least, even better.