1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Linux?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by PaulMB, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

As I'm using an LTS, I haven't done an install for quite a while, and I can't remember which writer I found most reliable, unfortunately. However, the following spring to mind, so might be worth investigating (if you haven't already done so):-

SUSE Studio Image Writer
    Etcher
    ISOImageWriter
    UNetbootin

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Just to help I tried this and had no problems installing on an old i5 Dell.

This is what I did:

a) downloaded the KDE Manjaro 64 bit iso
    b) used USB image writer that comes standard with Linux mint to 'burn' the iso to a USB stick
    c) inserted that stick into the Dell then booted and at the splash screen keyed F12 and selected the stick to boot
    d) once booted I installed Manjaro to a USB SSD drive.

All went smoothly.

Cheers,

DV

3. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Thanks to Caledon and DV. I'll have a go with those writers suggested, or at least with those I can install on Kubuntu. I've used UNetbootin, which works fine with everything except Manjaro. So I'll seek out the one that comes with Mint, which should go on Kubuntu since they are both Debian family.

Thank you again!

4. Darth Vader

If you still have trouble the problem may lie elsewhere such as the hardware. I am actually writing this in Firefox running in Manjaro that is running in a VM under Linux Mint.

It would appear that Manjaro is a fork of Arch Linux.

Installation was a breeze and the umpteen updates came to about 1.4GB.

Presentation seems neat but as ever time will tell.

Cheers,

DV

5. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

6. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Thanks, Darth.

Yes, it may well be hardware. But odd that it happens identically on 3 different computers. On the other hand....I have been making the bootable sticks all on the same computer, my Kubuntu desktop, so that might be an idea. Anyway, I'm just playing so I'll forget about Manjaro, since Kubuntu and Neon Linux install perfectly with a USB stick. Incidentally, Neon seems identical to Kubuntu, except that it comes with a bare minimum of programmes, the rest you have to add as needed. While Kubuntu already has everything in its package.

7. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

FreeBSD makes me think of some strange sado-masochistic practice or boycotting Israeli products. Probably more similar to the former.

8. Darth Vader

I have installed the 32 bit xfce version on an old core duo machine without any problems using the same Linux USB image writer to burn the iso to a USB stick.

At first blush the Linux Mint looks a lot better on this old machine.

So if you are still having trouble then "when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth". Or summat like that.

Cheers,

DV

9. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Indeed. I think it was either Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot.

10. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

And thanks!

11. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

It used to be my default platform for a few years but then Apple adopted it for OSX and hired away many of the competent developers, FreeBSD 5 nonsense happened, and it rather lost it's way rather than forging ahead into a bright future in partnership with Apple. Anyone have any reasonably current experience?

12. Darth Vader

Look up "The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier".

Applied carefully this has over the years helped me to solve many complex problems and even find solutions to things that were said to be impossible. The MD of one IT business where I was principal consultant once told me that "people shouldn't say that something was impossible as I just went ahead and did it". Some would say "the idiot didn't know it couldn't be done so he went ahead and did it".

Cheers,

DV

13. Darth Vader

I remember years ago when I was poking Leopard running on an IBM PowerPC CPU below the hood that I sometimes got Linux error messages! At the time I thought 'how lazy Apple could at least have edited out reference to Linux in modules that they adopted'.

Cheers,

DV

14. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Having splashed out on a cheap S/H Dell Laptop for Ubuntu Studio I’m now joying to Ubuntu Core server on a rPi and various desktops.

Tis fun and I am recalling my ancient Unix days so instead of the polite ‘sudo shutdown now’ I use ‘sudo init 0’. Got the rPi to emit a 800x600 screen via HDMI to the TV.