1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Solti Mahler 8 edition?

Discussion in 'classical' started by PaulMB, Mar 17, 2020.

1. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I would like to buy a CD of Solti's recording of Mahler's 8th Symphony, but I see on Ebay there seem to be 2 versions, both recorded-copyrighted in 1971-72. One has a white cover with an image of Solti conducting and is called "The legends", the other has a photograph of the orchestra and choirs. Just wondering if, on the basis of anyone's experience, one pressing is better than the other. Thanks!

2. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Forget it. Just ordered the second one. Please nobody tell me I made the wrong choice....

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just to answer it for anyone else reading my personal recommendation is almost always to hunt down the original issue (e.g. this). The Decca Legends series isn’t bad at all, I have a couple myself, but most of these modern series touted as being remastered have buggered about with things a bit with digital noise reduction, EQ etc (HMV’s ‘Abbey Road Technology’ range being the worst to my ears). I tend to far prefer the lazy first issues which tended just to be flat-transfers of the original master tapes.

PS With classical the bar is set far higher than with rock/pop, few remasters are shockingly bad the way they are with other genres, but there are still differences to be heard.

4. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Thanks, Tony. I got what I believe is the second-to-last re-issue. So hopefully there is less "re-mastering" than on the latest "Legend" version. Since the original release was 1971-72 on LP, this seems to be the oldest version available.