1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Who buys CDs anymore?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gassor, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Frankiesays

Frankiesays Here, there and everywhere.

Used to restrict my cd listening to just classical for some reason. But recently after some excellent advice from this forum, I started buying Blue note and other jazz on cd, to be amazed at the SQ, some things work great on cds, some don't seem to, or rather some stuff gets the proper remastering treatment and some doesn't, so whether its vinyl or cd the mastering its whats important, as I'm beginning to appreciate. The beauty of cds at the moment is that many can be had for £2-£5 and they're like almost always excellent/mint condition, but with vinyl its a minefield.......... I mean for under £100 I've got a 40 Lp strong starter jazz collection, what would that cost me on vinyl? My streaming set up isn't up to much at the minute, so it cannot compare SQ wise to physical formats, but it is good for casual listening (or when you just gotta listen to Eruption 'One way ticket').

2. Vinylnut

Vinylnut pfm Member

Charity shops are full of CD's. You can't go wrong for 50p or so.

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Provided you like Steps, Blue or Richard Clayderman, obvs.

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I walked over the road today to my old hunting ground, Vinyl Villains and bought Mercury Rev Deserters Songs, a Magazine 2 disc compilation and a Crowded House CD I’ve lost somewhere. Support the local economy.

[​IMG]
    I used to live above where it is ( that’s the flats entrance on the left) when I was a student and HiFi Corner was across the street.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    kendo likes this.
  5. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

raises hand

6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Yup. About a dozen or so for Xmas, and ongoing.

7. TheDecameron

Has anyone dumped the awful ‘jewel cases’ and put them in thin slip cases/ plastic sleeves along with booklet? A gatefold double sleeve would work nicely. The amount of space it would clear..

8. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

9. TheDecameron

10. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Not particularly relevant but I just discovered that where I stood for a bus to primary school (Newington Road) for 7 years is the house where Burke and Hare took their murdered bodies to a Dr Knox for a few shillings.

droodzilla likes this.
  11. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

yus, but, when you're browsing through your collection, how do you know what CD it is without a spine and words and such. You need to pull each one out...so slow. And jewel cases are all shiny.

12. TheDecameron

I think a drawer or box where you’d be browsing as in a record shop. I can’t read the bloody spines now!

13. TheDecameron

I met a guy 30 yrs ago who’s grandfather was the surgeon who got a bomb lobbed from a zeppelin through his roof in Lauriston Place! It went through every floor without going off. The buggers had come over to do Rosyth naval dock yard but got chased off and decided to do a leisurely evening tour of Edinburgh dumping everything overboard.

14. tuga

tuga pfm Member

I buy lots of used CDs and box-sets, which I then rip.

I will only buy a download if it's cheaper than the used CD.

15. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

I buy a few now and then, like when TIDAL are messing about with availability.

Gerenally I use TIDAL, my ripped files on a SSD and the odd Classical DSD download from nativedsd.com

16. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

I'm wondering if I'm drawn to grim places, I stayed in Lauriston Gardens for 12 years. :eek:

Here's some more info https://queensferry-at-war.weebly.com/interesting-war-facts/zeppelin-raids-on-edinburgh-1916

Salamander likes this.
  17. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Not to be outdone by the big city radges on here, I was born in a house built on this site in Dundee...

[​IMG]

...at South Baffin Street. :)

18. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Born, or assembled?

gassor and kendo like this.
  19. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

It was a bit of a stitch up really...(sorry)

gassor and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  20. I still buy the CDs when I don't feel like downloading songs.