1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Discussion in 'audio' started by zekezebra, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

What’s happening with the Roon readiness? Didn’t yo say awhile ago you would find out? and whether it needed a particular kind of ethernet hub?

2. zekezebra

zekezebra pfm Member

When I had the 8c loaners I used them with my Brooklyn Mytek DAC. This gave me multiple inputs, remote volume and, important for me, headphone output. When I get my, on order, pair this is how I will continue to use them.

3. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

D&D seem very quick to update via their Facebook page, so I think they will announce anything like that promptly.

4. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

I use mine with the RME ADI-Pro which can send a digital signal to the 8Cs and attenuate, it has has multiple analogue inputs and headphone amp, no remote though!
    Keith

5. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

I have no news on their Roon readiness. An AVB switch is not required.

6. Strictly Stereo

For those who asked about the remote...

[​IMG]

Andrew C! and Paul Burke like this.
  7. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

I thought the D&Ds had DSP? Why another box?

8. Strictly Stereo

There are lots of reasons. This box has a useful mix of analogue and digital inputs and outputs, a volume knob and an infrared remote handset. At the same time, it eliminates any unnecessary conversion steps. It also includes some interesting subwoofer integration options, multiple switchable EQ profiles and an additional (and technically more advanced) room correction option in Dirac Live.

9. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

Surely it adds an unnecessary conversion step?

What’s wrong with using the D&D lanspeaker app on a dedicated £50 tablet or phone?

10. Strictly Stereo

No. The MiniDSP SHD box accepts both analogue and digital inputs. Analogue signals sent to the speakers are converted to digital. By performing analogue to digital conversion inside this box instead, I am still only converting from analogue to digital once. However, digital signals can now remain digital all the way to the speakers.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, if you want a physical volume knob, an IR remote handset, additional inputs, switchable EQ profiles etc, then this box provides those things.

Andrew C! likes this.
  11. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Yup. Different options needed for doing things different ways. I would add tho that these speakers sounded very good via analogue xlr, too.

Don’t forget from a personal perspective I need a unity gain analogue input for av, and also phono analogue for the LP12(I seem to be saying this quite a lot;))

12. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

Wouldn't one prefer to use the adc built into the 8c?

I can't imagine the process performed by a minidsp box (as good a value for money as they might be) as being as well done in that box as they would by the onboard component, but I've never heard nor AB'd such a scenario.

Have you done an AB in store?

13. Strictly Stereo

The SHD only arrived today and I have not tried it with the 8c yet. On paper at least, it offers a step up in quality from MiniDSP’s other models. I will let you know what I think once I have had a listen to it.

Andrew C! and MattSPL like this.
  14. Nikola Krivorov

Nikola Krivorov pfm Member

The guy whose 8Cs I heard has just bought a Weiss INT202 and a small NUC with a PCIe mini Firewire card to test and I helped him buy a Mutec 3+ USB so let the shootouts begin! :)

The Weiss INT202 comes with a very nice remote and it can control the volume itself so for someone who only needs digital input it might be the solution. The MAN301 was stunningly good, left so mercilessly the Adi 2 pro in the dust that it was not funny at all. Which made me sad as the RME is such a great sounding DAC and a real audio Swiss army knife...

Will report as soon as possible, there isn't much time to Munich in May, D&D better act soon.

15. Paul Burke

Paul Burke pfm Member

Almost finished stands, waiting for some feet to turn up from the states, just need some 8c’s for them now!

[​IMG]

camverton, Knipester, Emlin and 2 others like this.
  16. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

So you compared the MAN301 and RME as ‘transports’ both sending the same digital signal to the 8Cs and you thought that the RME was poorer?
    Keith

17. Hifi_swlon

Hifi_swlon pfm Member

It’s so funny jumping between a pro forum and a hifi forum following feedback on the 8c’s while awaiting demo.

The suggestions of kit for external volume control are quite OTT on both and really shouldn’t need to be purchased additionally to something like the 8c imo, but state of the art recording studio quality seems to be around £2k, whereas a hifi streamer is £8k+

AndyU likes this.
  18. Hifi_swlon

Hifi_swlon pfm Member

Hopefully they were also tested blind.

19. Strictly Stereo

You’re awaiting a demo?

20. Hifi_swlon

Hifi_swlon pfm Member

Yup. More specifically a kii three / 8c demo. Hopefully this week. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.