1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Discussion in 'audio' started by zekezebra, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

Have fun.

2. Nikola Krivorov

Nikola Krivorov pfm Member

Well, you can never say you gave them their best that is why I am trying to help him bring out the best of the RME as I already have one and I am very happy with it. The RME was fed USB from a MicroRendu 1.3 with LPS1, there is a lot that could be done there, USB cable was Lush 1. We will see what happens with a NUC NAA , the INT202 in several configurations, the Mutec and the rest. We are really hoping to beat the MAN301 as the guy wants so part with it at some point but not before something is at least at its level.

But the difference was profound :( I wish it was not and we will do our best to challenge the MAN301. Not selling the ADI 2 pro though.

3. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Perhaps compare unsighted next time, the micro rendu will add nothing nor the ‘Lush’ if you compare unsighted you will discover that for yourselves.
    BW Keith

4. Nikola Krivorov

Nikola Krivorov pfm Member

I know what you are saying, it was done unsighted but the conditions for the Adi 2 pro were poor. I made the remark not to give credibility to my test because I use fancy stuff, this has already been proven to make a difference in unsighted test and the MicroRendu was used because it works as an NAA for the HQplayer. There are tons of tests to be made in the next month, I am just reporting what I hear and some details are important to people.

5. Knipester

Knipester pfm Member

6. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Looking forward to chatting with you on Sunday :)

Knipester likes this.
  7. Hifi_swlon

Hifi_swlon pfm Member

Anyone know if the 5yr warranty is transferable?

8. Purité Audio

I will ask.
    Keith

9. Andrew C!

Nice to have 20 mins with Paul and discussed all sorts.

The rig sounded pretty good bearing in mind the room layout. Liked the MiniDSP. My wife liked the very clear display on Paul’s streamer:rolleyes:

Nice stands, too..

[​IMG]

Fretbuzz, Strictly Stereo and AndyU like this.
  10. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I listened to Knipester’s Dutch & Dutch speakers today. At first I must admit was really rather underwhelmed. However, when he swoped from his preferred DSP settings to the ones Strictly Stereo had programmed in as flat I thought the sound improved enormously and they really did sound excellent!

11. Andrew C!

Always a compromise in a hotel room IMHO.

Looking forward to trying that MiniDSP in due course...

12. Strictly Stereo

Are you sure you weren’t listening to them with the filters turned off initially? I popped down yesterday afternoon to help Paul set up the filters for his room. The filters were all limited to the 20-250Hz range. He had a flat option, a warm option with 0.7dB per octave extra bass and an off option. Consequently, the difference between the flat and warm filter sets was actually pretty small, with something like 3dB extra bass by 20Hz.

The warm option was implemented by letting the room resonances run further, rather than by boosting the bass or cutting higher frequencies.

13. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Sneaking around dodgy hotel rooms.... .!?

14. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

How far apart were the 8Cs and how far was the listening seat from the speakers?

Based on the picture, the listening seat appears to be *very* close to the speakers.

15. Strictly Stereo

This room has an L-shaped unit running along one side (out of shot). This was fixed to the wall so it could not be removed (although this was discussed). The three seats were set as far back as the room allowed. These photos will give you a better idea of the space...

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/132773-wam-show-2019-photos/?do=findComment&comment=2370078

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/132773-wam-show-2019-photos/?do=findComment&comment=2370085

The other option was to aim the speakers down the length of the room, but that would have meant moving them well away from the front wall (reducing the effectiveness of their boundary coupling) and losing the left/right symmetry.

This layout seemed like the best option for the space. The centre seat sounded great. The left and right seats were compromised in some ways, but still sounded pretty good.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Sloop John B likes this.
  16. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I only know what the owner told us - which wasn’t quite what you describe. He did play all three options - I think his own preferred was the warm but the one I/we preferred was the flat. The difference may have been small in a technical sense but we thought it really quite pronounced in a subjective sense. It just goes to show how tuneable these speakers are. I have to say I (and my friend who also heard them) thought they sounded excellent.

Strictly Stereo likes this.
  17. Andrew C!

To be fair, it was close. However as I’ve previously said - these rooms are a compromise, and the sounds were very listenable. For example, we listened to other stuff throughout the show, and the 8c’s were easily the most favourable sounds for us. My wife, in particular, made this comment, and she could not care less about any tech or kit.

My reason for going was to see Paul’s stands and supports, and also have a look at the MiniDSP and how that feeds the 8c’s.

18. Purité Audio

I am pleased you liked them, the 8Cs are a contemporary equivalent of the Yams.
    Keith

19. Strictly Stereo

I am glad you liked them. Usually, when I measure a pair of these to create the filters, there is a lot less ambient noise. I was a bit nervous about how they would turn out. There was a good dollop of Tina Turner and AC/DC in the measurements, but hopefully we took enough to average out the effects.

20. Knipester

Knipester pfm Member

I’d say most if not all Wam exhibitors will say that their systems/speakers sound better in their own listening space. My 8c however with Lees help were much closer to what I get at home even in a VERY compromised/difficult room. It was hard enough setting up having to dismantle a huge metal bunk bed and double bed so to start unscrewing huge cabinets and hairdryers from the wall was never going to happen so this determined the final room layout. This I believe is testimony to the 8c tech and ability to suite pretty much ANY space. As a side note I showed shahinian obelisks mk2 last year and they sound rubbish at the show but great at home.

Alas Some people didn’t take the chance to sit in the 3 chairs placed (where the measurements were undertaken) for critical listening which was a shame as the image in those positions was superb and really showed what the speakers can do.

They received stacks of positive comments throughout the day both for the speakers and my cabinet/stand designs with a number of people returning 2-3 times! It kind of makes it work it when this happens.

I hope the switching of subtle EQ filters helped those who heard it to realise a few things about the 8c’s.

1. They are great speakers even without the room correction on (preset 3), but even better with it on

2. Whether you like flat (2) or my preferred sloped 0.7db per octave response the fact is there WILL be a filter set to suite your ear.

3. Preset 1 was created solely for my ear and no one else, I prefer it’s less demanding sound and allows me to better loose myself in the music rather than analysing it which is what I would fear I’d do if it had them installed with a flatter response. Personal preference ultimately but if you become tired of your 8c’s the great news is rather than searching for new speakers/amps/cable you simply input some new filters and hey presto you have a new pair of speaker!

4. Once located correctly the guess work is removed about set up meaning no more tweaking toe in and pulling them further out into my room. They love to get close to the front wall and that for me is the icing on the cake either in a 2.7m deep room at kegworth or my 5m deep room at home.

Thanks to all those who took the time to visit my room and chew the fat over what I believe is an indication of where speaker design will eventually head in years to come.

Huge thanks to Lee @ strictly stereo for helping me to be able to show my 4 day old speakers (yes they are not fully broken in)! If you are intrigued by what you heard at the show or what’s written here all I’d say is you owe it to yourself to get in touch with Lee and organise a demo in your own room. His service is absolutely top draw and he’s a genuine nice guy too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.