1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Discussion in 'audio' started by zekezebra, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Nikola Krivorov

Nikola Krivorov pfm Member

Dear Keith,

Sure I would do it if I had any doubts there was a difference but this is a room I know too well, music I know too well and it is in my interest that there is no difference. Yet there was. I am sure you will know what I am talking about if you were there. Sometimes we do not need to do blind listening to know which one is better, do you do a blind listening test for everything? Move the speaker an inch - blind test? New interconnect - double blind? New power cord - double blind? New speakers - double blind?Are you not tempted to say something sounds better without a blind test? Because if everything has to go through that even the smallest change you make has to be double checked. Let's not go there, if it does not make sense to you just ignore it, if someone would find it interesting he or she could spend some time and money and check what I am saying, it came after we had dialed in the position of the speakers and we had a good idea of how they present things. These are studio monitors, they are very honest on what is going on.

2. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Martijn Mensink has just posted this over at ASR, regarding the distortion in the SoundStage review of the Dutch&Dutch 8C.
    Quote,

I had an online chat with Doug Schneider of Soundstage. We discussed the measurements of the 8c. He had some comments I think you guys will appreciate (partly direct quotes, partly paraphrased):

• The steeply rising distortion in the deep bass and the dip around 60 hz are artefacts of measuring in the chamber.
    • The narrow distortion spikes are real. They measured a few times just to check. He thinks it could be the smallest thing like a wire rattling, or something came loose during shipping, possibly a narrow band resonance being excited.
    • One thing to note is the deviation from linearity measurement. That’s actually a torture test on the thermal characteristics of the drivers. The 8c’s did exceptionally well.
    Keith

tuga and Strictly Stereo like this.
  3. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Great show, some really good sounding rooms there, be good to hear them instead of the flying visit last year. See you there!

Strictly Stereo likes this.
  4. tuga

tuga European

To make it short, both the spikes and the high distortion at around 150Hz are real, as I expected.
    This is a bit worrying but not a deal breaker.
    Definitely a to-listen-to speaker.

5. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

In a room with several sets of compromised speakers too?

6. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

Enjoyed Knipster's at Kegworth so looking forward to hearing more

Strictly Stereo and Andrew C! like this.
  7. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

With a little luck, the furniture won’t all be nailed down like the rooms at Kegworth.

sunbeamgls likes this.
  8. Strictly Stereo

...No bunk beds to dismantle either.

sunbeamgls likes this.
  9. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Drop us a PM if you need a hand on the Friday as i don't work that day and i'm only round the corner.

10. Strictly Stereo

Thank you. That's really kind of you.

11. darius

darius Member

long thread.. can't find anything on roon support on Dutch and dutch website, any updates?

12. Strictly Stereo

AndyU and Andrew C! like this.
  13. darius

darius Member

ok, thanks

14. camverton

camverton pfm Member

:), I’m sure you’ll have a great show. Best of luck and have a productive day.

Andrew C! likes this.
  15. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Quite interesting, especially if you have other hardware that can do room correction/eq as well.

Worth storing/recording the filter settings, just in case...

16. Strictly Stereo

Thank you. I'll have this in my playlist...

https://tidal.com/track/6311425

tuga likes this.
  17. camverton

camverton pfm Member

:D Erm, excellent choice but you might not have the most populated room!

tuga likes this.
  18. Strictly Stereo

Perhaps just disc 3 track 10 then.

camverton likes this.
  19. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

Some ideas:

Yello - Blue Biscuit
    Bob Moses - Tearing Me Up (RAC Mix)
    Deadmau5 - Gula
    Christine and the Queens - 5 Dollars
    Fink - Perfect Darkness (Live)
    Felix La Band - Black Shoes

Strictly Stereo and Andrew C! like this.
  20. zekezebra

zekezebra pfm Member

Well mine have finally arrived!! Martijn and a colleague (apologies, terrible with names) delivered them yesterday and set them up. Had a late night rediscovering old favorites and plenty of new stuff too.

These really are fantastic speakers and make a great minimalist system: Roon Nucleus, Mytek Brooklyn DAC and D&D 8c's.

Paul - Rotterdam