1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Discussion in 'audio' started by zekezebra, Nov 27, 2018.

1. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

It seems not.
    https://audiophilestyle.com/profile/5155-kal-rubinson/?status=667&type=status
    (incidentially that would be quite a long way off axis- for speakers 2.5 m apart they'd be crossing nearly a metre in front of you)

2. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Crossing in front is a ‘thing’ Grimm recommend it with their LS1s, I have never positioned the 8Cs in that way though.
    Keith

3. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

If I remember rightly Grimm had a setting in their control software which you could change if you had that extreme toe in.

4. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

jackbarron, brumjam and Dozey like this.
  5. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Was listening to some samples on mine yesterday. Portishead - Dummy. Definitely went down...

6. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

I still might buy a pair of these next year. In my home demo they were the best sound I’ve heard in every way.

matt j likes this.
  7. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

How’s your house hunting going? I’m hoping that your new place won’t have such scary stairs.

8. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

Haha yes! The letting agent has been showing people round and some have been a bit surprised by the stairs!

Moving to Nottingham next month though.

9. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

Then it makes no sense. He can’t have a 45 degree equilateral triangle as others have pointed out.

BTW, I do toe in my speakers so that they cross in front of the listening position. This improves image stability for off axis listeners.

10. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Mine are very slightly toed in, but not to the extent they cross in front of me in the primary listening position. I don’t think D&D designed them to be toed in that much. Lee from Strictly Stereo would have advice in this regard...

11. zekezebra

zekezebra pfm Member

Martijn from D&D installed mine himself as they are based in Rotterdam. Very slight toe in.

Paul - Rotterdam

lagavullin10y and Andrew C! like this.
  12. Strictly Stereo

The recommended layout is an equilateral triangle with toe in somewhere between 0 and 30 degrees. This does not change the tone dramatically, as it might with a conventional speaker, but it does affect the balance of direct to reflected sound. The manual covers this in more detail (see page 12).

https://dutchdutch.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/8c-Manual-English-web.pdf

Andrew C! likes this.
  13. tuga

tuga European

Can the 8Cs be operated from a Mac using an Ethernet connection (or wi-fi if necessary) to link Mac, NAS and speakers?

14. Strictly Stereo

You can’t stream to them over Ethernet yet. Right now you could use a small and inexpensive Toslink to AES or USB to coax adapter to connect the Mac directly to the speakers. Alternatively, you could connect a streamer to the speakers and control that from the Mac. There are plenty of options. You could store your music on a NAS, on the Mac or in the cloud.

tuga likes this.
  15. tuga

tuga European

I currently store my music on a NAS, use the Mac as player/processor, a Cubox as a buffer/endpoint all wired (ethernet). The endpoint connects to the DAC with USB.
    Perhaps I could use an adapter to connect the Cubox to the D&Ds.

16. Strictly Stereo

Perhaps. Or you could swap the Cubox for a Pi with an S/PDIF coax or AES HAT.

17. Musicraft

Musicraft Trade: Musicraft

Due to a clients change of mind we have a brand new pair of 8c's available that we can offer at a reduced price. Please call me on my mobile to discuss this further.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 7:51 PM
  18. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

19. Musicraft

Musicraft Trade: Musicraft