1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Radio Paradise sound so good?

Discussion in 'audio' started by The Bish, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

@Jim Audiomisc

This is the nearest I have been able to find.

I just tested it in Firefox on a win 10 desktop, it still works.

ronnie

See post #15 for a link to some analysis

2. Zagreus

Zagreus Member

I have been listening to the Flac stream for a couple of weeks now (thanks to Man in a Van and Gaycha). What a step up from the low res. stream. It is absolutely stunning! You also get some alternative streams in Flac format and mp3 format. Great upgrade.

3. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

So does anyone know the URL for FLAC?
    I want to use it in Winamp like I do with the 320k version.

4. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

As far as my knowledge goes, there is no url.

ronnie

Jriver,Volumio and LMS use an API provided by Bill.
    The data is sent in blocks of several tracks and not as a stream.

5. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

There must be some form of url or manifest which can be fetched. The problem may be that this is carefully obfuscated so either we don't know the relevant fetching details or any form of alteration to 'encrypt' it.

Simply going to the host address gave me a list of their 'public' stream URLs. I did then try changing the tailing '/whatever' to various things *not* on that list.

But as ^ if they use a non-standard method for the transfers that isn't going to help much unless we can determine the details.

Never mind. I was just curious as the music isn't particulary to my taste.

6. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

7. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

8. Devonian

Devonian Pursuing my ultimate musical orgasm

At last! Got it running on both Foobar2000 on Windows and Clementine on Ubuntu/Linux. Sounds wonderful!

9. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

Don't forget to give Bill any fedback that you think will help, I'm sure he will appreciate it (and a small donation, if possible ;))

ronnie

10. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Link doesn't appear to be working anymore:(

404 - The file you requested could not be found

11. robs

robs pfm Member

It is the time of year for fundraising - I have just donated, listen to it most days, all day in the home office (in FLAC on the SBT)!

Well worth a few squids.

left channel and narabdela like this.
  12. left channel

left channel Prominent Member

Trond Arne Velund, Gaycha and Sonci like this.
  13. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

Using this through Roon. It’s working fine at the moment.

14. Weirdness

Weirdness pfm Member

FLAC stream is now running and working great on Bluesound after an update they pushed out last week - you get a choice of 4 streams as well.

Definitely nice to see they are listening to what people want at Bluesound...

15. left channel

left channel Prominent Member

BlueOS now includes the RP Main/Mellow/Rock/Groovy mixes? Wonderful news. Those are not simple streams, and require a special receiving app or plugin.

The test stream I posted above is for those needing standard internet radio access. It is the "Main" mix only.

16. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Works OK here with ffmpeg. :)

ffmpeg -i (url as above) -f alsa plughw:1,0

plays out on a linux box to the DAC addressed as 1,0 and ffmpeg confirms stream is 16bit 44.1k pcm. Also allows file capture for analysis.

17. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Out of curiosity I captured the stream for 30mins then did stats on the results. These showed two things.

The stats of the peak levels showed clear signs of clipping or hard limiting.

The time-averated frequency response shows an abrupt fall-off at less than 20kHz. (N.B. 44.1k stream, so higher than this is possible.)

I can't tell how typical this is, or if it is the source material, though. Hence I can only say that either the source material or the broadcasting showed these in the above test. That said some sections seem 'to the wall' in level whilst others don't do that, so it may well be the source material varying.

TBH not my kind of music, so I doubt any judgement I'd base on listening would be of relevance.

18. JenniferT

JenniferT Member

Can Naim streamers NDX, Muso etc. play the full FLAC resolution files available from Radio Paradise instead if the AAC 44.1 320kbs stream?

19. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

Streaming FLAC via the RP app on my iPhone 6+ (phone hard wired to vintage JVC amp), I am stunned by the quality: it seems consistently better than Tidal, with which I was disappointed as it was so often no better to my ears than Apple Music.

20. GavinB

GavinB pfm Member

Not currently. Just via a pad or phone plugged into the USB.