1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Why so many lies.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by I.D.C., Mar 28, 2020.

1. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

The goverment admited they missed a e-mail asking them to join the EU ventilator procurement. Then a minister on TV admits receipt of the e-mail. Then the EU admits a government minister was present at a meeting regarding this. There is a possibility it could have saved lives. Then you have daily PPE issues. Lies have brought down governments in the past. What's going on why is lies acceptable from leaders running the country. Bigger question why is front line news not reporting this.

eastone and ff1d1l like this.
  2. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

What difference would it make, do you think the govt will stand down and any inquiry would take years to setup and years to complete.

They have a free rein to spout whatever bullshit they want.

stephen bennett and Snufkin like this.
  3. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Not entirely certain but I'd wager Hancock has lied in every single interview he's given.

eastone, MikeMA, Alex S and 6 others like this.
  4. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

It would be nice to not have incompetents in charge.
    Even better to not have lying incompetents in charge.

mikemusic, Snufkin and I.D.C. like this.
  5. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Journalists haven’t adapted to a situation in which the government just straight up lies to them. They’re not really interested in adapting either, as long as they have Twitter to vent at the government in a consequence-free manner.

6. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Pretty much all irrelevant really, on two counts.
    First, what is done, is done.
    Secondly, the factories making all of this kit have not been sat 99(+++++)% idle before the virus hit, shock, horror, AMAZING. So supply rates are NEVER going to achieve what the naive demand and the politicians promise.

GM being forced to make ventilators by presidential decree LLLLLLLLLLLLLLOL. And how long does the half-wit think it will take to tool up within GM and the supply chain providing the extra parts compared to normal times?

Masses of experts around though, who think otherwise, and not least that it isn't chaos trying to get anything done to totally impossible time-scales.

The world has gone totally mad on so very many fronts...……………………..

christray and Tony Lockhart like this.
  7. Finnegan

Finnegan pfm Member

I was listening to Gove on the wireless yesterday, standing in for Johnson. Let me be clear, I loathe Gove as a nasty, vicious right-wing ideologue. Nevertheless, he does possess something faintly recognisable as an intellect. I wonder how he feels working under complete thick-as-pigshit morons like Johnson and Patel. Nothing more than idle curiosity. I really don't give a toss how he feels.

Elephantears likes this.
  8. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

Politicians lie because they are tied into the party system of whipping and many of them have been raised via the move away from home into private school system.

Politicians seem to lack the understanding that quality education does not equal common sense, an essential need that many lack.

They (Tories ) even vote for a leader with a proven track record of lies which in my opinion does not equate to morality, thus you accept that cutting police and NHS numbers etc has no consequence from your lies.

Obviously the above is a generalisation but in my view gives a snapshot of the behaviour that the electorate sadly find acceptable.

ks.234, Tony Lockhart and Snufkin like this.
  9. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

They’ve gone for the special Cronyvirus model. Should be ready in three months from overseas party donor.

10. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

From the incompetent's point of view, I'd have thought that lying was a desirable pre-requisite for being an incompetent? :rolleyes: Though, if they are actually good at lying, then they are not entirely incompetent... o_O :confused:

Hmm, I think I've already been in lockdown too long... :eek: ;)

11. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Anyone who can write that has something seriously loose or entirely missing between the ears, irrespective of whatever political bigotry they might adhere to.

12. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

Or, perhaps, it's 'journalists' having free reign to let their own bias come to the fore?

Covkxw likes this.
  13. mansr

mansr Objectionist

The way politics works, it is impossible to become a leader of a country without lying constantly for a few decades. Why would they stop once they've reached the top?

14. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

Trump 'thinks'?! :eek: ;)

mikemusic likes this.
  15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Politicians have always lied, sometimes with better intentions than others.

Dozey and Darren like this.
  16. Finnegan

Finnegan pfm Member

Why?

17. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

No doubt some of that. In this case the bias is towards government, against the public.

Caledon1297 likes this.
  18. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Never so blatantly, so childishly, so frequently, with such impunity. This genuinely is quite new.

19. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Because in this time of national pulling togetherness,we need to be nice to the Tory c***s...

twotone likes this.
  20. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

The press is very different now, less deferential in some ways but more biased in others. I reckon peak lies was probably through the 40’s & 50’s. Been many a big scandal, we’ve never had a political golden age.

Darren likes this.