1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Laptop to Chromecast Audio. How?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rob998, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

I've been trying to get my Windows lappy to talk to my Chromecast Audio with absolutely no joy whatsoever.

I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled apps, tried Google desktop cast extensions, factory reset and shouting at them.

I can get the PC to cast to the 1st gen Chromecast that's plugged into the telly, but not the CCA that's plugged into the hifi. Obviously I'm able to stream from my Android devices, but I'd like to be able to access the Hi res stuff on my PC.

Anyone here found an easy way of dealing with this?

2. Rob998

Forgot to say, I'm pretty computer un-savvy, so please feel free to couch your solutions as if you're addressing a person of restricted understanding...

3. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Which version of windows ?

There should be a 'cast' icon top rt. corner of your laptop screen . When you hover over it, it says 'display on another screen'.

Right click on this to show a menu, open 'manage cast devices'.
    see how many are recognised, if no CCA then it is probably a wi fi issue.

4. Rob998

Windows 10, no cast icon in Groove Music, windows media player or I tunes. On wmp there is a stream option but doesn't find either Chromecast, but does find my TV. Sigh.

5. Rob998

Sorted, I think, a Windows app called Playcast, which didn't appear on my previous searches. Trying out the free trial now, £3.09 if I decide to keep it, which considering the ball ache I've had today, is a stone cold bargain.

6. misterdog

Google search is mostly free.
    https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6260600?hl=en-GB

or you could send me £3.09 if you wish..

Mine was a pain to set up, apparently there are now Apps to find the App that you may require.

The time lag while playing Utube Vids is laughable.

Personally I would just play some vinyl.

Hi Res dowloads are mostly hype also from my experience.

Too many people get giddy because CCA is 15/20 quid and think it some kind of bargain giving access to Nirvana.

7. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

CCA is indeed a bargain. For the price of a new LP you won't find anything that approaches it's usefulness.

I'd go further and say even if you spend ten times more, you won't find anything like it to match versatility when it comes to adding a new source. Even a bargain basement Rega is tenfold it's cost ... .

A total and utter bargain but I wait for you to give me an alternative :)

8. Rob998

Yes, I did actually try all of that in the link and it doesn't work. It sends stuff to my 1st gen Chromecast that is plugged into the telly, but not to my Chromecast Audio that is plugged into my hifi, which is the point of the exercise.

Anyway this app, which, luckily, has a free trial period, is extremely glitchy. you can play individual tracks easily enough and they sound great, but try playing an album, or making a playlist, or constructing a play queue and it skips tracks, plays them in whatever order it fancies, or just a tiny portion of them and you can forget gapless.

The CCA works brilliantly for me from android devices, it's finding software to allow this excellent little device to work from a Windows PC that is the problem.

So, forget Playcast, it's pretty crap.

9. misterdog

Confusing the words cheap and bargain can often be misleading.

The CCA is cheap.

The lack of support.
    The lack of connectivity.
    The very high jitter levels.
    The high level of time delay.

All prevent it from being a bargain in my book.

10. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

Are you using the Chrome browser?

11. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

12. Rob998

Thanks for that formbypc . I'll try it later. I'll also retry the chrome set up instructions in case I missed/screwed up a step.

In the meantime it's too nice out to be messing around with computers so I'm taking the dog to the beach so she can harass the seagulls.

13. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

I'm not sure I would expect there to be, unless the makers of WMP or iTunes had updated these apps to include it, and I don't recall seeing any sign that they have.

14. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

:)

You probably refer to this but should read ...

http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html?m=1

... to the end ... .

You are talking about a device the price of a cheap meal for two.

Support ... ? What other support do you need?

Connectivity? The thing is the size of a Golf balls width. What else do you expect?

I like to think I'm reasonably demanding of equipment and stream predominatly Tidal Lossless/Spotify Premium to my cyrus system with no complaints about the SQ of this tiny device.

If you need added connectivity, a fancy display and impressive looking box, spend a few hundred quid. I doubt you'll hear much difference :)

15. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

Install or update chrome browser, this is on window 8.1pro

[​IMG]

this casting radio paradise

[​IMG]

Can't seem to do the BBCiplayer Radio at the moment, might be the BBC.
    The android iPlayer app works fine.

Ronnie

16. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

Tunein seems the best way for the BBC, or you could use LMS and the chromecast plugin

[​IMG]

17. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

LMS (using the castbridge plugin)on Windows laptop with Chrome Browser

[​IMG]

hope the dogs are not to wet and smelly;)

18. misterdog

19. Andrew.B

Andrew.B pfm Member

I mostly use my chromecast audio for streaming from my android phone (well, using the phone to set the CCA up to stream, phone does no streaming) to my hifi, but I was disappointedat how unsupported it is in terms of actually getting audio from a windows computer to it, outside of Chrome (dat timelag bro) though perhaps it has improved since I last tried.

Then again it was £15 and is actually very good quality. It costs less than most 'entry level' (hahahahahahaha) audio interconnects and it comes with an OK PSU, USB cable and a little 3.5mm wire and a choice of optical.

That said I don't feel its limitations were well known by many of those who bought it, myself included, it did seem a bit 'crippled'.

20. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

The Auralic aries mini is a good bit of kit, but costs £450 plus £250 for the linear PSU. You buy the CCA for different reasons.