1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Wine in boxes

Discussion in 'off topic' started by blossomchris, May 23, 2019.

1. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Not tried this for many a moon, and from memory was not overly pleasant.

We prefer red or a dry white, no Rose', Chardonnay, Pinot noir, Merlot suggestions please, unless spectacular if poss.

As a rule we usually spend around 12-20 pounds per bottle.

Cheers

Bloss

2. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I bought a 2 or 3 bottle (can't remember) stand up pouch wine the other day for a 21st party. Worked really well. Got it from Tesco. We used the Pinot Grigio variety, although it was Hungarian IIRC. Well - it all went - and no the party was not full of 21 yr olds! - it was mostly a middle aged family crowd. Took up less space than the box type.

Mind you it was not in the 12-20 a bottle range. Not sure I have seen a box in that price range. In theory it should work well - but I guess boxing or bagging is only going to work for big-selling populist wines - and those are not £20 a bottle!

blossomchris likes this.
  3. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

They are the devils work, easy to drink a lot more that you intended. Nearly bought a NZ wine box the other day but just knew it would be a mistake.

Snufkin and blossomchris like this.
  4. jimpey

jimpey pfm Member

I find quite the opposite.

It's convenient to have only a glass and a half or so knowing that the rest will not deteriorate.

I like to bring boxes of merlot home from a french supermarket but can't in all conscience suggest it meets the OP's briefo_O

Jim

blossomchris likes this.
  5. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

6. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

Lidl’s are quite good. I drink a box a day to avoid confusion.

k4pog, Bob McC, Tigerjones and 3 others like this.
  7. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

A friend of mine was very annoyed when a box of wine that was supposed to keep for thirty days ran out after only two.

jimpey, Bart, suzywong and 3 others like this.
  8. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

J'accuse the friend

9. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

Don't buy anything less than 13% ABV and you won't go far wrong because you won't be able to move that far.

blossomchris and stevec67 like this.
  10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

The boxes don't generally have wine in that price range, it tends to be decent enough fiver a bottle stuff. Nothing special but decent party fodder.

blossomchris likes this.
  11. blossomchris

Thanks all, thought I was expecting too much.

The reason for the thread was to try a wine box, instead of opening a bottle and using the vacuum stopper which is barely good enough.
    I was hoping to cut down and also as I believe the wine in boxes do keep longer.

I will try the Waitrose one as suggested by Rug Doc which should suffice as a Mon-Thursday tipple. All part of the Mediterranean Diet a glass or two a day:)

Bloss

12. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Some places have started doing 50cl bottles if that helps; we're currently on a Barossa Ink as i'm weaning myself back onto red.

That's only two glasses so easy enough to finish.

Boxes are great for festivals, we budget on one a day plus a few cider top ups.

13. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

Where's EV when you need him? Or are wine boxes the work of the EU bureaucrats?

blossomchris likes this.
  14. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

you can of course, "pour" wine without removing the cork.

https://www.coravin.co.uk/shop.html?type_of_product=12

doesn't work with screwcaps or plastic bungs though

15. blossomchris

I often look at these bottles, time to think about trying some.

Bloss

16. blossomchris

Worth a consideration, but with this possible new routine I will save whole bottles of the better wine for the weekends when they are always emptied the same day.

Bloss

17. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Simply fill the glass with the right amount and poor the rest of the bottle down the sink.

Pete

blossomchris likes this.
  18. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

My wife doesn't drink so if I open a bottle of wine on a weekday evening much of it will get poured away as I'd rarely drink a whole bottle. The small bottles are a good option, I just wish there was a bit more choice.

blossomchris likes this.
  19. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Fill an ice cube tray with left over wine, freeze, bag and use for stock.

Pete

20. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes, good plan for the stuff you pick up at the local offy for £6, but I wouldn't want to waste Barolo or anything else I'd paid £15 for in a stock.

blossomchris likes this.