1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Wine on line

Discussion in 'off topic' started by MikeMA, Mar 25, 2020 at 4:50 PM.

1. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

As a result of covid-19 panic buying, our local Sainsburys and Tescos are all slowly running out of wine and restricting the amount you can buy at any one time, and proper wine merchants are pretty much non-existant round here.

Rather that clutter up the covid threads, I thought I'd start another about buying wine on-line.

What on-line booze retailres would pfmers recommend? I'm no snob; anything drinkable, available and deliverable to my door will do.

2. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I used Naked Wine.

3. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

I’ve used Laithwaites for quite a while.
    I like wine but I’m not an expert.
    My usual spend is between £9-14 per bottle. A bit more for special occasions.
    They are definitely still delivering. I had a delivery yesterday.
    I can’t say they are any cheaper than other sellers, but the customer service is very good & I find enough choice for my tastes.
    Virgin wine/Naked wine is an alternative. If you look around there are usually some introduction deals to be had.
    A local business would no doubt be preferred to a bigger operation such as Laithwaites but the only ones close to me are a bit pricey.

4. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

5. mhv

mhv pfm Member

Where are you based? What are you after?

Some online retailers have already stopped taking orders or delivering. Such as The Wine Society...

https://www.thewinesociety.com/

Many ‘proper’ merchants have shut any retail outlets but are still delivering... for the moment anyway! Suspect that may change fairly shortly.

6. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Naked Wine are still delivering although only for cases they've already put together.

7. window-licker-65

window-licker-65 Active Member

Berry Bros - we last had a delivery from them a month ago, I have no idea if they are still processing orders. I regularly use Master of Malt for spirits, and I think they sell wine as well

8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Offies are essential shops now and can stay open.

9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Laithwaites are no longer taking new orders

10. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

I’m definitely going to order from Portugal Vineyards at some point (thanks Snufkin).

I’ve just ordered from Berry Bros (they are delivering). Their own label stuff is generally very nice for the money.

Tanners are pretty decent but stopped delivering at the moment.

I’ve used Majestic on and off for years, currently off them.

11. mhv

mhv pfm Member

12. fama

fama pfm Member

Aldi
    Costco
    Thedrinkshop.com

Weekender likes this.
  13. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Wow, I got in just in time then!
    Looks like virginwines are doing the same thing.

14. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Just noticed Berry Bros sent me a friends voucher with my order for £25 off a £200 spend on their own selection range. Happy to share via PM with established fish who are looking to order.

15. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

To add to the aboge:
    Armit Wines
    Jeroboam
    The Little Fine Wine Company (disclaimer: the owner is a friend of mine, but I have no business interest there; I am a regular customer)

16. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Appreciate any beer seller recommendations too (sorry for hijack).

17. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Beers of Europe

farfromthesun likes this.
  18. bigjonny

bigjonny pfm Member

Beer52.com

farfromthesun likes this.
  19. peterm

peterm pfm Member

I've been using Averys for a few years now.

Good for French reds, especially Bordeaux.

Not generally impressed with their whites (although just about to order some Loire bubbly and maybe Spanish Rias Baixas due to supermarket restrictions).

Used Naked for a while but due to their "Angels" sponsorship of small producers by the time you found something you liked the vintage was sold out, and it never seemed a particular bargain anyway.

If you order online you are most likely buying from Laithwaites in the end! (including Averys I believe), they've just about got a monopoly on online wine sales!.

20. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Just slightly panic-bought 6 bottles from Aldi. Will keep me going for three weeks.