1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Wine pairings

Discussion in 'classical' started by R-J, Apr 18, 2020.

1. R-J

R-J Exmoor perfection

I am currently listening to Beethoven piano sonatas while drinking a very decent red Burgundy (Gevry Chambertin). Both are lovely, but I am not sure the pairing is quite right.

Any suggestions as to what I should have opened.

And also, suggestions, please, for other appropriate parings to try out during these COVID-19 evenings. Mahler and...

PsB likes this.
  2. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Liszt with liebfraumilch? Bruckner, obviously, with bier... Poulenc and pastis? Satie and sake. Rubbra and rum.

This is an important line of enquiry, but I'm afraid that I can't help with Beethoven sonatas - I don't know what he drank...

3. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Nights in the Garden of Spain with a lovely Ribera Del Duero. I would have had a good Malbec with you Beethoven.

4. R-J

R-J Exmoor perfection

Interesting - my thought was that I should have had a white Burgundy with the piano sonatas.

Bier with Bruckner? The alliteration works, but I think beer would be better with Carmina Burana. Oloroso sherry with Bruckner, perhaps.

"Nights in the Garden of Spain with a lovely Ribera Del Duero" - that has to be a good call.

5. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I’d have a dry Oloroso and Parmesan with something resinous, maybe Bach Cello sonatas with Starker. Good call on the Burgundy and I’d have a good Prosecco with Carmina.Same with Carmen. For Ella Fitzgerald a nice peaty single Malt , like Lagavulin. For Shostakovich symphonies, Vodka of course. And for Mozart Clarinet a dry fruity champagne. Beer for Barber and a Gin and Tonic for Gilbert and Sullivan, with a packet of large salted peanuts.

6. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Many great composers were what would today be classified as alcoholics - Bruckner was one, as were Brahms and Liszt.

Viennese brewing changed at the time Bruckner arrived in the city, when pale malts were introduced by a brewer who had studied in England.

After a day's teaching at the University Bruckner would invariably repair with a group of friends and followers to an ale house, where they would dine and drink third-litre glasses of beer. It was considered bad form to drink 12 of these, that being the number of the Apostles, so a thirteenth would invariably be had. That's more than 4 litres of moderately strong beer every single day... it's a wonder that the later symphonies were written.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Snufkin likes this.
  7. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

National Tea Day today, Sean Rafferty has just said... luckily I had my mug at lunchtime, so having discharged that responsibility can have a Wye Valley Hereford Pale Ale to accompany Harpo Marx playing Tea for Two on Radio 3... a cocktail might be more appropriate :)

8. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

Surely 13 is unlucky, so another would be needed....

9. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Brahms died of liver cancer, 'nuff said. Heavy cigar smoker too. Poor chap.... really wish he'd had time to get on to a cello or clarinet concerto.

Sibelius had a running battle with drink until he finally stopped drinking in his sixties.... and he lived on until his nineties - but he didn't compose any more music.

10. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Rachmaninov and cheap sweet sherry.

Wagner and overripe Camembert

11. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Rachmaninov a fine Sauternes and Wagner a decent Riesling.

12. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

Surprising as he normally goes with clear spring water rather than a garish cocktail.

13. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

I think of Beethoven as prime Californian CabSauv: well structured, robust at times, innovative in his day (building on sound classical traditions), and did start quite a trend.

14. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Cider or snakebite with the Stooges.

15. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Funnily enough I was listening to some of the early sonatas the other day with a glass of Sancerre; wouldn't have gone so well with e.g. Hammerklavier, but it was more about what was in the 'fridge than anything. Chopin and bubbles would work well I think - I may have to do some research.

16. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Just noticed how beautifully poached eggs on granary toast a fine roast Columbian goes with Bach Cantatas.

17. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Middle period Verdi and Lambrusco, middle period Beethoven and a snakebite. Mozart and a babysham.

18. R-J

R-J Exmoor perfection

Not a Mozart lover?

19. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Well, I like any period Mozart much more than I like middle period Beethoven and middle period Verdi. And I like some things by Mozart more than I like any things by Beethoven and any things by Verdi.

20. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Cool Sancerre with Stravinsky