1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter election III

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Nick_G, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

The point isn’t really that The Guardian isn’t critical of the Conservatives. The point is that their criticisms of Labour under Corbyn are relentless, irrational, uninformed, inconsistent. The Guardian is one of two leftish mainstream papers in a landscape dominated by the rabid right. Imagine if they’d spent the last 4 years trying to understand what had driven half a million people to get behind a relic from the ‘70s. Imagine if they’d spent time talking to supporters, analysing policies, reporting developments and debates, familiarising themselves and their readers with the tradition to which Corbyn and McDonnell belong. And then criticised them on that basis! Even if they were hostile their readership might be informed.

Instead every development is framed in terms of a “Labour is in crisis!” narrative or ignored if it doesn’t fit, while pundits regurgitate government attack lines or concoct their own gibberish. I’ve said it before but if Andrew Rawnsley or Rafael Behr were plumbers or solicitors they’d be unemployable, they’d be sued: loudly, nastily wrong about everything, for years, and when reality rubs their nose in it they just deny everything and do an about turn. Absolute dereliction of duty.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and Covkxw like this.
  2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I bet the average age of a Guardian reader is mid-50s or older, so they will recognise exactly what tradition Corbyn, McDonnell and McCluskey etc are burping up! We remember it very clearly...

3. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The Bullingdon Oaf vs. the BBC’s fact checker.

PS I actually thought it was a good interview as Johnson came across as a fuming arrogant lying entitled bad-natured con-man, which he is, so Marr got to the truth.

tqineil likes this.
  5. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

My worry is that people, or rather a large number of them, aren't bothered by that - it's just 'Boris being Boris'. Anyhow, my vote has been cast, I've done my best.

jackbarron likes this.
  6. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Demographically the age range is not that noteworthy and the Graun is certainly not as old as the Torygraph. It is though very ABC1 / middle-class.

https://www.statista.com/statistics...the-observer-monthly-reach-by-demographic-uk/

7. Minio

Minio pfm Member

I thought the Marr interview was illuminating in a cringeful sort of way. Both participants seemed to be talking as if in different geographical locations with no intercommunication.

I can understand why Johnson has been advised not to do many!

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That’s exactly as I’d expect, the Guardian was always the home of the arts-loving middle-classes, teachers, academics etc (which is why I like it!), but I’d still bet no one under about 35 has ever bought a newspaper! My point was that anyone over 50 (and I bet the paying Guardian readership very largely is) will remember the 1970s and 80s well, so will have a fair handle on Corbyn, McDonnell, McCluskey etc when it comes to ‘tradition’!

The thing I thought it exposed so well was the sheer arrogant thuggery of Johnson. You could tell he was absolutely fuming and had the camera not been rolling he’d have likely thrown one of his spoilt brat tantrums. He has exactly the same pre-programmed entitlement that Cameron had, just a slightly different way of turning a seething puce when challenged. Rees Mogg is another one. Challenge any of them logically/factually and that fake veneer of posh-boy/‘class’ falls right away and they behave like a cornered rat.

9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes, and just in case anyone’s forgotten the good Rabbi’s true allegiances...

[​IMG]

anubisgrau and jackbarron like this.
  10. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

11. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

which website has the most up to date poll of polls chart, please?

12. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

13. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

jackbarron likes this.
  15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Wasn't that predicted here?

16. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Oooh you are awful...

I think reckoned to be more like 3-4 years.

17. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Have you noticed Sian Berry has exactly the same smokers' voice.

18. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

19. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Yep. It's all down to whether enough LibDem voters can be persuaded that voting for Labour is a least bad option. I doubt Labour will be winning back many voters from the Brexit Party.

20. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Up until BJ parked the Tories’ tanks on Farage’s lawn and the latter reciprocated with a non-aggression pact.