1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter election III

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Nick_G, Nov 30, 2019.

1. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

2. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Update from the chair. My lifelong labour voting hairdresser is voting Tory. She said her father and grandfather will be turning in their graves but Boris is the only one who can ‘get Brexit done’. She’s a WASPI as well who has had to carry on working. It would appear Mr Cummings knows exactly what he is doing. Time will tell of course.

3. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

If you're a Labour supporter, the general election won't be good news. It will result in a hung Parliament at best and Johnson could remain PM. I hope I'm wrong and will find out when I start campaigning for Labour and knocking on doors.

Labour will support other Parties on an issue by issue basis with the SNP and Greens. It wouldn't surprise me if Swinson does the same with Johnson, if she can get a second referendum tagged onto his Brexit deal.

This is partly down to Corbyn sitting on the fence for three years, instead of actively opposing the Tories and Brexit. I've lost count of how many PMQs I've watched where he's had no counter to the Brexit lies being pumped out by May and Johnson.

On top of this Corbyn's response to the Lexit voters is we must listen to them and support Brexit. Many of these people are out and out racists. They will happily vote for Johnson, because he is of the same ilk, although much richer.

Jack

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    ks.234 likes this.
  4. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Or did Boris offer him Home Secretary...

5. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Cloud cuckoo land.....

The questions that remain unanswered back in 2014 still remain unanswered such as what currency will be used, the Scottish part of the national debt, defence etc. etc.

Frankly, IMHO, Brexit would be easier to achieve than Scottish independence and then gaining access to the EC.

Regards

Richard

6. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The main problems with Brexit have been political, a result of a narrow victory for leave. If the SNP could get a high vote for leaving the UK it would be an easier process IMHO.

7. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Some kind of extra-ambassadorial US role seems more likely if anything. I think there'd probably be too much opposition for there to be a K or a ticket to the HoL to go with it. But hey, as mad as everything is at the moment, why not!

8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I hope the polls are wrong, fear they are right though. Of course it is everybody else's fault.

9. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Indeed that may be the case.
    But one would be a shitshow tory offshore deregulated tax haven washing the dirty money of the world with the Orwellian boot stamping on the face forever, and the other would be ok, probably even better than now.

Presumably in a UK with a population of 68m a single country with a 5m population's share of the National Debt is a bit more manageable, and the nice english neighbours would in any case offset it with the national surplus Scotlands oil gave them for all those years.

And defence? Against? Surely not ANOTHER english invasion?

10. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Aint over till the fat lady sings...

11. wacko

wacko pfm Member

You are right. Except why the 'extra' ? Just: Her Majesty's Ambassador to Trump Tower.

12. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Except that in the case of Scottish Independence, the people of Scotland would, to a much greater extent, unite behind the idea which makes impossible things much more do-able. It's still probably not in their best interest but, unlike Brexit, it is an idea that has *some* merit and people could put aside their differences to make it work.

13. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

14. Joe

Joe pfm Member

For someone living in Wales you don't half sound like a Scot.

Defence....... that thing where you are a Nato member and a contributor to the future European Army.

Defence of shipping and fishing. Air-sea rescue.

It adds up.

So does paying all that dole money to the existing Scottish regiments if they intend to do without them.

15. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

Sure, but an independent Scotland absolutely doesn’t need a nuclear deterrent. They can doubtless have a better conventional force and save money by ditching Trident renewal. It is also the SNP’s moral position.

16. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

I lived for some years on Loch Carron, and still have friends there.

There is quiet fury at how they have been hoodwinked since the last indyref.

I can't see other than a sizeable majority for independace when another is held.

As I said on the other thread, all would be easier if england left the UK, as the country which enjoys a brexit voting majority. You'll no doubt counter that Wales was for leave, but a study showed this was largely swung by retiree english "settlers".

Re defence, I'm sure that as a member of Nato, Scotland would maintain a small army, for that and ceremonial duties. European army? Are you ETs gammony smarter brother?

Air sea rescue has been privatised and is no longer carried out by the military.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  17. Alfie

Alfie undercover

18. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

No, it has no merit. Like Brexit and as you have said many times about Brexit, they will not understand the implications of what they are voting for and they will be poorer.

19. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

English settlers... :D:D

Notice the regular use of "e" when anything to do with the despised English. You're just another narrow-minded nationalist happy to take the hand-outs.

20. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

It, by definition, has the benefit of independence!