1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter election

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hifinutt, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

That is not actually true though. Only regulated rail fares go up every year in line with RPI. Non regulated off peak fares are actually relatively cheap: the esteemed travel writer Simon Calder did a piece on rail fares across Europe & we actually compare quite well.

We have a better rail service now than under BR, rail journeys have risen Yr on Yr for last 10 years.

The average rail fare would decrease by about 17p purely on the back of nationalisation (all things being equal). This 'saving' would probably be swiftly swallowed up by inevitable wage settlements.

I think we should invest more in rail but massively more so in the North as opposed to London which is over serviced compared to rest of county. Rail can be nationalised quite easily as contracts expire. Public Utilities more difficult & not really worth it. Do any of the rail franchises actually make money?

2. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Johnson is even worse than I thought at campaigning.

Imagine Theresa May with added bluster playing it for cheap laughs.

Hung parliament. Another election next year. Probably.

andrewd and TheDecameron like this.
  3. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

Hung Parliament guaranteed imo , election total waste of money and we shall have to have another in the near future with more promises made to be broken and petty squabbling

andrewd likes this.
  4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Boris seems to be hanging around hospitals a lot at the moment. He’s going to fast track foreigners to get visas to plug the holes in the NHS manpower crisis. That’s going to go down well with the seething anti-foreigner wing.

5. TheDecameron

I’m paraphrasing the Tory reptile brain- it’ll struggle with fcucking business and increasing benefits. Hunt even said “we are going to do something that won’t be popular with Conservative voters - that’s raise benefits because it’s the right thing to do and because we are a centrist party”. Tories actually doing the things they’ve condemned Labour for- when it’s spelled out, you see the lies they’re inviting the public to believe. It’s every bit as crazy as Brexit being good for the average person in Britain.

andrewd likes this.
  6. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

Have the Tories finally found the magic money tree?

maxflinn and Brian like this.
  7. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

[x] Foreigners coming over here, taking our jobs,
    [x] Foreigners coming over here, taking the jobs we need done cos we won't, fast track 'em cos it's the NHS innit? national treasure!

Both desired and entirely despised.
    Closely related in oxymoron expression to variants of the perception of 'they're over here taking our jobs / over here claiming our benefits' contemporaneously.

Schroedinger's Migrant.
    Here's hoping the seething right-wing wave-function collapses...

8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Johnson has spent today looking like a rabbit caught in headlights.

fatmarley and andrewd like this.
  9. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

I noticed that one of the things he came out with whilst re-writing his own Brexit deal off the top of his head earlier was that NI would benefit from having freedom of movement - it was a good thing that they were getting in their best of both worlds utopia. Presumably along with unicorns and uneaten cake.

Can’t see that sitting well with the erubescent faithful. Then again, I can’t really see it being pointed out to them either.

10. TheDecameron

I’ve noticed too that he darts glances round the room constantly checking people’s reactions to his story- like a good psychopath.
    Asked on the flooded streets in Yorkshire ‘can people expect extra help’, he said ‘yeah they can’ as he turned away. Now he’s sitting in the police command room in Matlock, looking knackered and bored.

11. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

12. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

Just seen my local MP standing in the town square next to the weekend market. No interaction from any of the shoppers or stall holders. Thought about it myself but I am pretty much resigned to spoiling my ballot paper to register a weak protest at the breakdown of our political system. This is subject to the details (if there are any) in the libdem manifesto containing at least something to address the growing instability in our society. They may have a reasonable policy on brexit but without anything to address what caused brexit (i.e. the actual problem rather than the symptom) they are irrelevant fluff. Huge missed opportunity to provide a base to form around for rational moderates leaving the main parties (and increasingly our current political system).

13. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

FIFY

14. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Not the feedback I have received from those out there knocking on doors. Apparently Boris, with a proven record for lying in his short stint as prime minister, is to be trusted while Corbyn, who has been able to achieve nothing, due to the fact he is not the leader of the country, is not to be trusted. Happy days.

Slim majority I would say, after a nasty, dirty campaign from the Tories.

ks.234 likes this.
  15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Did I write that? Only the last line seems familiar

16. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

17. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

I would hope (aha) that those out there with at least a single brain cell will realise that £2 a week will not buy you bus fare to your local food bank & will leave £18 for the government to recoup from the lowered taxes being offered.

18. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Do you know what fify means

19. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

He made no AS comments.

He is a true left-wing MP. Against austerity, against imperialist wars and against aligning with terror/apartheid states.

20. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

No