1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Wire remastered

Discussion in 'music' started by Seanm, May 21, 2018.

1. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Bumping this from the vinyl thread, as the CDs are getting the same treatment apparently:

CDs are out, I think. Anyone heard them?

2. guey

guey pfm Member

I got them for 'im indoors birthday, but not had a chance to give them a proper listen yet.

3. gary1064

gary1064 pfm Member

4. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

So I ordered the reissues of Pink Flag and 154, since I have an original Chairs Missing. But I'm starting to wonder if I really need them. Are they going to be any better than the early CDs? Does anyone know about the mastering chain and whether it is analogue or not?

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m very interested in these as I didn’t really like the last remasters that much and the original CDs are hard to find, plus the additional material sounds very interesting as does the packaging. I’ll wait until I’ve heard what the mastering is like, but theoretically I’m in for the three (I have them on mid-80s vinyl as I was rather late to the Wire party).

Anyone got them yet?

6. guey

guey pfm Member

We've got all three masters of these; but I've not had a chance to compare them.
    The extra CDs have got some really interesting stuff on them.

7. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Please do report back. I haven't listened to Wire much in the last two or three years, but my memory is that the CDs are pretty good and I don't think my pressing of Chairs Missing is radically better. I will also report back on this.

8. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

I think that regardless of the mastering of the original albums, they're worth having for the extras.

9. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

The original vinyl is amazing but I may well be tempted by the extras and the book format if similar to the last Wire album is v nice.

10. aedagnino

aedagnino pfm Member

Any comments on the sound quality of these latest remasters?

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There is a thread over on Steve Hoffman’s forum, but annoyingly no one has got to the sound quality yet. As stated above if it is decent I’ll have a set, but I’m not going to drop best part of £75 if its brickwalled awfulness!

12. guey

guey pfm Member

I've just loaded all three versions of Map Ref. 41°N 93°W into Soundforge.
    The original master is the least compressed; the 2006 and 2018 look about the same.
    I'll have a proper listen later.

13. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

14. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

Worth mentioning that there is nothing on any of the three that was not already on the excellent 'Behind the Curtain' release a decade or so ago.

If the remastering was a real improvement, I'd take a punt on at least one of them, but not feeling the need atm.

15. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Ah thanks, I did wonder about that. I shall,therefore, pass on these.

16. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

i'm SHOCKED how expensive orignal wire vinyl has become! I was hoping to round out my record collection with some Wire but I doubt i will now

17. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

I love Wire but I don't see much point to these remasters. The originals sound great as they are.

18. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

when you see how much the originals cost I think you'll 'get it' ... :p

19. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Fair point

20. gary1064

gary1064 pfm Member

Zombie thread resurrection! I know this was about the remastered CDs, but if anyone's interested the 2018 re-issued vinyl is moderately discounted on Amazon; Pink Flag, Chairs Missing and 154 are all available at £14.99 each (usually around £18 if I recall).

I've just received Chairs Missing, the vinyl is nice and flat, clean, no surface noise, sounds really good. Perhaps a tad more low end bass and slightly less open than the original, so a bit "darker", but that's only from memory so I could be off there. I'd certainly recommend it from a SQ perspective, and a worthy alternative to the originals (which command stupid prices at the mo, even if you can find them) if you don't already have them. There's a heavy card inner which is a bit brutal so it needs to go into a poly liner. Links:

Pink Flag
    Chairs Missing