1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst musical genres ever.

Discussion in 'music' started by Frankiesays, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Frankiesays

Frankiesays Here, there and everywhere.

Being a part of the 'mod' youth cult back in the 80s, we used to listen to the 'mod revival' music of the late 70s/early 80s (yes a few years too late), and the original mod music of the 60s like the Who and Small faces. Most of us quickly realised the revival stuff was pap, the worst kind of pap, musicians and song writers so utterly devoid of talent or the merest flicker of intelligence! I cannot listen to it now without grimacing, anyone else care to exercise their musical demons?

2. lordmortlock

lordmortlock pfm Member

Not my demons, but it’ll be interesting talking to these guys in twenty years or so

Frankiesays likes this.
  3. Take5

Take5 pfm Member

As a generalisation, i dont like country music. But, i like some of it.

So, there are no genres that are totally out of the question. I like some of everything.

For me, its the old cliche..... there is good music and bad.

I dont like the bad stuff, whatever genre it is supposed to be in.

4. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

I can’t be done with rap or hip-hop especially when it’s blaring out of crap speakers in a messed up Corsa or Fiesta with far too much bass. I also don’t understand the liking for heavy metal either. I guess it just doesn’t suit my ears.

Snufkin, John.P and Pete MB&D like this.
  5. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

jamaican music what ever it is called - Reggae?

omg makes me puke

6. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

Good grief, what a sweeping generalisation!

Imagine, if you will, "I can't stand British music whatever it is called - skiffle?"

Does this include non-Jamaican reggae? other Jamaican music?

7. narabdela

narabdela who?

Rap = Crap.

Martyn Miles and julifriend like this.
  8. Frankiesays

I admit I used to dismiss reggae until I heard it properly, there was a BBC docu recently on it featuring that famous white reggae dj, David Roddigan, and it was/he was amazing. He called Reggae music a 'fever' and that makes so much sense, like Salsa or latin music.

9. Frankiesays

Come on rap music makes serious statments, both lyrical and muscial, what does mod revival do? Laughable. Please cringe worthy genres only!

booja30 and Sean K like this.
  10. zippy

zippy pfm Member

'New Age'

I used to have a lot of respect for Rick Wakeman until he went that way along with Mike Oldfield for a while..

11. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Polka....

Jimbobbyron likes this.
  12. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Probably because of my age:
    Britpop
    Rap
    House
    Drum and Bass

I’m sure there must be others, but I’m off to listen to
    Dolly Parton...

Serious statements?
    You must be kidding.

13. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Prog

Hollywood musicals

Nu-Metal/Nu-Punk. (Basically anything featuring shouty Americans with too many piercings and tattoos).

Frankiesays likes this.
  14. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

K-pop

C & W

Folk/pop (think The Shires)

Stadium rock

most anything with auto-tune

booja30 likes this.
  15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve pondered this for a while and can’t think of a single genre where I can’t find any redeeming examples/things I like. I’d have instinctively said heavy metal, but thinking about it there is still a little I like and I have to recognise a lot of the modern stuff is exceptionally clever with odd drop-tunings, remarkably complex rhythms etc even if I’d not actually want to sit down and listen to much of it. I can’t even single-out religious music as whilst church hymns, Christmas carols etc are unbearably tacky and irritating you then have things like Gregorian chants, Bach, even John Coltrane! Country & western is the same, much is saccharine crap, but you also have Johnny Cash, Howie Gelb etc etc. I don’t think there is any genre that can be written off entirely, though there has always been a lot of third-rate dross in every genre. The gems are rare and widely spread.

kendo, booja30, Dozey and 3 others like this.
  16. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

my approach here is to ignore the word "genre".

Cheese likes this.
  17. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

I was going to agree with this completely, then I remembered bagpipe music...

lordmortlock likes this.
  18. madmike

madmike Seen your member...

Manufactured pop, boy bands, girl bands, country and western, rap and hip hop.

19. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

Swedish comunist 1970's prog. I had to endure it on the radio every night when they (very smugly) told us how they had ready made answers for everything.

Tarzan likes this.
  20. Bjork67

Bjork67 pfm Member

Am not a fan of the instrument called a concertina, I enjoy folk music and used to go to folk nights but that instrument seems overly popular on folk nights.