1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

XenForo migration status and bug reports

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

This the Google-ads? I’m not actually allowed to click them for risk of appearing to be fiddling things so hard to diagnose!

2. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

At the top of the site, its currently an add for a credit card with the 'add choices' logo in the top right, very small.
    If I click it goes the add and leaves pfm.

3. flatpopely

No, it's changed how bizarre!
    It opens a new page.

4. flatpopely

It's random. Let me do some more research and get back to you with the result.

5. RichardH

RichardH Bodging pleb

Yes, I just tried clicking on an ad (LED event technology) at the top of the page and it opened in the same window (Firefox). Wonder if it is ad-specific?

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve just checked and it is apparently just how it is. I suspect so they are not ‘pop-ups’, but there is certainly no option to alter the behaviour.

PS I guess you could right-click and open in new window/tab or whatever.

7. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Is ‘two-step verification’ a certificate of dancing ability?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  8. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

Bastard is a swear word? Well, I suppose "bloody" was once considered one.

It's practically a term of endearment in Australia.

9. Joe

Joe pfm Member

But then again " brace y'self Sheila " is considered enough foreplay and sweet talking in Oz.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just a quick advanced warning that another update is pending. Assuming all goes to plan SSL will be implemented a week on Wed (the 21st) and the Xenforo software will be updated to v2.x which is far nicer and cleaner looking. I hope to get all the old YouTube links fixed at this time too. This will be a major outage so the site will likely be offline for a good few hours whilst we get all the ducks in order.

I’ll make a formal banner announcement nearer the time.

PS Anyone curious as to what XF v2 looks like have a peep at the Xenforo support forum here. It is a lot cleaner and ‘flatter’, I much prefer it. Annoyingly I’ll lose the pfm colour scheme during the upgrade, but will obviously recreate it ASAP. Hopefully it will be a lot easier to do this time as there are next to no gradients etc, but it will still likely take me a week or so to get it exactly the way I want!

11. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Can anyone explain why I cannot post pictures in the old way using Firefox?

I just get [​IMG]

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Instructions with examples can be found in the FAQ in the reference room.

13. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Thanks Tony. I'm not overly IT literate and that always worked before.

Now I click on the photo emblem, put the link into the "image URL" section that pops up, click "insert" and just get the first [​IMG]

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Update to Wed outage: after doing a bit more reading I don’t think I’ll be doing the upgrade to V2 of XenForo yet, it is still a bit new and some plugins I rely on don’t seem to exist yet (e.g. VigLink). As such I’ll just get the SSL stuff done and sort out the old broken YouTube links. Makes life a lot easier. I certainly plan to go to V2 fairly soon as it looks so much nicer, but I’ll give it a bit more development time before jumping on board.

16. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

That's probably a good plan anyway - a number of unrelated updates at the same time does tend to add risk and when you get problems (not if) it's a larger surface to reason about.

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Ok, back up and running.

SSL now implemented, check out the shiny new padlock in the URL bar.

XenForo to current point release (1.5.18).

Most, though not all old vBulletin YouTube links fixed. I reckon we've got about 4/5ths of them and I can live with that.

Any new bugs or weirdness please let me know on this thread.

18. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

Tony

Just a few issues: -

• The pfm green is slightly off from the previous version.
    • It is still possible to post links from The Daily Mail without having your genitals removed by a blunt avocado slicer. I appreciate you are not ready for the full functionality of V2, but this is essential.
    • I suspect that some people who post on here may own an avocado slicer. This should be unacceptable. There is a plug in along with the bot check that should bar these types.
    • The "like" functionality still works. It's only going to attract the twittararti snapchatting crowd. Everyone will have the big glasses with plain lenses and a passion for making artisanal soap before you know it. You'll have to (ironically) stock Carpenters albums and that Inglesias bloke (un-ironically) to make record sales.
    • The green is now avocado.

Trust me. I know green.

Swampy

lordsummit likes this.
  19. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Thanks for that, will look into it.