1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

XenForo migration status and bug reports

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 8, 2017.

1. wylton

wylton pfm Member

The cut issue occurred tonight too whilst browsing the record shop, so there is something going on here.

2. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

One of Public transport, seating and females or all 3 seem to be sensitive topics. Post a thread go out and whoosh, gone.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There was a sexist line in the initial post which generated multiple post reports and had been quoted multiple times in the thread. Pruning would have been quite awkward as it was well off the rails by the time I got to it, just too many quotes and the whole topic had shifted too much.

4. Darmok

Darmok Child of Tama

Tony, part of the previous incarnation of pfm, you could left click the post count number and get a list of who had contributed to the thread and by how many postings by whoever.

This new pfm lacks that feature imho.

Is it possible to incorporate that previous action?

5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I've noticed in recent days a certain slowing down, or reluctance of the forum to respond. Sometimes a 'like' doesn't 'take' and I have to repeat the action, for example. Not sure if this is my browser, my router, or XenForo, but I haven't noticed significant issues on other sites, so thought I'd bring it up.

6. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Tony, unless I'm missing something, you can only delete a post after you've actually posted it. For instance, if I just abandon typing a post, and navigate away from the topic, it just stays there for ever or until i make another post.

So, would it be possible to put a delete post option in the posting box?

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

I've had the experience where I've started a reply, but decided against it, and 'deleted' the text from the box only to have it reappear next time I visit the thread. This also created a potentially embarrasing issue when this un-posted text was incorporated into a reply I subsequently made on the same thread, in another context, and without my noticing. I had to edit the post to delete that text, after I saw the finished article.

8. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

This happened to me a little while ago and the text wouldn`t permanently disappear until the machine was powered down and restarted.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

This is XenForo’s auto-save facility where it saves your post as you type. It is fairly useful as it can protect against losing data on slow-server times (which we still have now and again due to being on a shared server due to cost). It is saved fir 24 hours, and if you don’t want the saved content but do want to reply whilst it is still in the buffer just select all, delete it and then compose your new post. It can all be edited before you finally hit ‘Post Reply’.

10. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

anyone having problems with XenForo using Chrome on Android after the most recent Android update? Getting a lot of page freezing, unreactive pages. All other sites work ok under the same setup, just this one causing problems.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

If it is around this time (morning UK, middle of the night California) then it is likely just the server crapping out whilst running its maintenance and backup routines. We are on a shared server so performance is a bit variable. The site doesn’t generate enough income to justify a dedicated server, though if the situation gets much worse I’ll consider putting the user classified listings on a fee basis (say £25 per year) to generate a lot more revenue which would facilitate it.

12. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

last night it started, I stopped using the phone and used my tablet at it was ok - seems ok now on my phone. Maybe just a coincidence

13. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

possible workaround: write the message in MS Word and save it there, before copy-pasting the message into the answer field. Advantage I: Word check’s the spelling, not a bad feature for some poster’s here, it saves them from borrowing their brothers dictionary. Advantage II: the copy-paste process sometimes wakes up the brain of the contributor so he can more easily decide whether he should rewrite some parts of the message, or rather bin it altogether.

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Does it help with random apostrophe’s too?

Yank likes this.
  15. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

New Forum: The "Ignore" function completely wiped out the whole post of anyone you are ignoring. Just wasn't there. And posts quoting them didn't. Or was fantastic. People you didn't like were just obliterated.

Now we've gone back to that thing where you can see they have posted.

I liked the total obliteration. Can we have that back?

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve changed nothing!

17. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

18. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Some photos aren't showing up in the photo room, they show in the prevue if you edit the post and in the new post email.

Pete

Its the same on my Iphone 6 as well

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Thanks Pete, nothing at all changed here, so likely a change of remote linking policy from the photo host. Which site are you using?

20. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Hi Tony

Flickr, and it’s not just me having the problems.

Pete

BTC3 likes this.