1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

yesterday I heard the Naim NDS

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rico, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

apparently the first production NDS off the line. now touring NZ in the future of HiFi presentations.

I think that would slot in to my system in place of my CDS3 very nicely thank you.

I heard it powered by a pair of 555PS, 252/SC/300/Ovator 400's.

I was impressed by the ease and dynamics, and look forward to hearing one fully run in.

my system needs funding first spread on a good fettlng for turntable, followed by a recap for my 252/XPS-2 and 250-2 (not sure about the CDS3). Once I have that sorted, I will be carefully evaluating the NDS.

The new iPad app is awesome too.

it appears to be a game-changer.

2. LOTUS HIFI

LOTUS HIFI LOTUS Hifi

I do hope that its a killer product but it has to be said that at £18345 there are an awful lot of digital sources that should also be auditioned at the time of purchase.

3. 73Chaz

73Chaz pfm Member

Ambitious pricing to say the least. Be interesting to see how many are sold.

4. hammeredklavier

hammeredklavier owner of two very cheap hi-fis

:eek:

Tell me you're joking...

5. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

price seems outrageous for basically something so simple , very bad value for money

6. hammeredklavier

They can't possibly be serious. It's just a wireless DAC!

7. LOTUS HIFI

LOTUS HIFI LOTUS Hifi

I hope im not wrong but pretty certain that gets you the NDS with x2 burndys and x2 555ps. Powerlines would presumably be extra.

8. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

in my case it would simply be run with my existing XPS. so not hugely expensive. I did not ask the price though. not that Naim has Rolls Royce marketing, "if you have to ask... " etc. I saw the value of the product, and have no interest in a price comparison or cobbling something together that may or may not be "better".

9. LOTUS HIFI

LOTUS HIFI LOTUS Hifi

For sure but then through an xps its going to sound several tiers below two 555's.

10. hammeredklavier

Why on earth do you need two PSUs for a DAC?

11. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

as does my CDS3.

12. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

why not? designer bookends were once all the rage.

13. John Channing

John Channing fruit box forever

For me, SBT+Teddy Pardo TTouch/nDac+XPS2 gets me very close and I spent about a quarter of that amount. Much as I love Naim, I really struggle to see why anyone would buy their streamers.

14. nitrous

nitrous pfm Member

NDS £6250 according to naim price list on Tom Tom Audio site. Cheapest working combo would be NDS & XP5 XS which is £1595. One could graduate up to the full monty a 555PS (£5725) at a time if one wanted to.......

15. afewbeers

afewbeers more sense than money

Presumably each dealer has to have a demo one so that's a healthy initial order before a customer has even bought one.

16. redeye

redeye pfm Member

Rico
    How muchee the NDS head unit (front bit - brain thingee)?
    How do you reckon it'd stack up to a CD555?

red

17. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

My God they got some people well and truly sucked in...

Appalling.

18. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

£18k are they taking the piss - what will it be worth in a decade

19. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

I think that was a common theme with the CDS-II, also. "why would you buy a proprietary two-box player with no DAC at that price? You're barmy, I can hot-rod my Arcam and get..." ;)

20. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

keep up, laddie! it's £6250k, not £18k. £18k gets you two over-specced power supplies and cables in the mix, over the basic unit. I think it has most of the inputs of the n-Dac too.

I didn't ask, as per the Rolls Royce thing. I should imagine it'll give the 555 a good go. Who knows, Naim could be doing a 555-spec streamer in future. I wouldn't worry, Mike - would you keep it? #; ) Me? I've bought a lotto ticket for this weekend...

Meanwhile I'm spinning Mogwai's "Hardcore will never die (but you will) on the CDS3, it's great. Multitasking with some photo editing. miserable day outside, here, so it's just the thing to be doing.