1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

yesterday I heard the Naim NDS

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rico, Jul 13, 2012.

1. John Channing

John Channing fruit box forever

Who is that directed at and why?

2. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Anyone who thinks that justifying top-end Naim products is necessary, rational, heck, possible!

3. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

nope. if people want to waste their money, more power to them. the more the merrier, audiophiles for the laugh gallery fodder.

one rather large audio engineer forum has a "audiophile idiot of the week" thread that is quite popular.

spend away! :)

there are rational guys like Robert, Serge, hammeredklavinet, chris, etc. these guys and guys like them are the only thing giving the hobby credibility.

4. LOTUS HIFI

LOTUS HIFI LOTUS Hifi

Well said.

"Selective rationalisation" if you like.

Most people just kid themselves that the price/performance level they are personally playing at is a rational, acceptable and cost-justified one and everything above it isn't. Its the same as my SRA rack thread, £1300 for a set of isoblue is rational and acceptable but £4000 for an SRA or a Pagode isn't ... Ha ha, how convenient. :D It's rational to *them* because of how much is in their wallet but the broader consensus will more than likely strongly disagree.

Even ignoring the third world, and sticking with developed countried for a second with dispoable income, if you ask most folk out there ( like well over 99%) spending £1000 on a dac would be barking let alone £18000.

5. afewbeers

afewbeers more sense than money

Last night a Naim NDS saved my life

da da da da...

:D

6. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Wooops! Thought you had it for a second there and then you blew it! ;0)

7. DSCOTT

DSCOTT pfm Member

Credibility is overrated - FACT.

Teddy can't spell hammeredklavier - FACT.

(FACT - copyright Teddy Ray 2012) - FACT.

8. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Shouldn't that have a capital letter?

9. DSCOTT

DSCOTT pfm Member

No, because that's how the "owner of a very cheap hi-fi" spells his user-name (it has "ed" in their as well).

10. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

So the guy can't spell his own name then?

11. dss

dss Musical Bons

I like this idea is it, perhaps we can start our own version here.

First up to the plate?

DS

12. DSCOTT

DSCOTT pfm Member

His user-name of hammeredklavier is clearly a humorous play on Hammerklavier. Anyway.

13. vln

vln Shuns mooks. And MQA.

Sounds like fun!

Do you have a link?

14. Jaspercat

Jaspercat pfm Member

I totally agree.

I'm probably one of the few that heard it way back in April and I will most definitely be keeping my impressions to myself.

How can someone have a view on the NDS without even hearing it?

The views of a few on this site beggar belief anyway, built on no more that conjecture. I've heard that all speaker cables are the same - just get some mains wire in there (so I did my own research and guess what? they don't) , all DAC's sound the same (well I did my own research and they don't) , all amplifiers all sound the same (yeah right).

Some here are certainly in the camp of "I could never afford that so I better rubbish it"

Quite sad really.

Oh just saw the latest thread....are all tuntables the same....for the love of Jesus

15. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

I take your point but would say those contributions rank alongside the 'I heard it at a demo against the same brand cheaper options' in terms of usefulness.

Did you attend a sales demo or conduct a meaningful comparison with any alternatives?

16. Jaspercat

Jaspercat pfm Member

What do you mean by a meaningful comparison. Meaningful for whom?

I attended a sales demo but so what how it was demo'd - I heard it against an NDX incidentally.

I'm not selling it to anyone but at least I heard it ... have you heard it?

17. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

I think you really have to hear and compare equipment in your own room, in your own time,
    Keith.

18. Jaspercat

Jaspercat pfm Member

Well I couldn't agree more.

What I am talking about is people who rubbish without even hearing at all (home or at a demo).....just for the sheer hell of it.

19. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

No I haven't heard it but then I haven't pronounced on it's performance. I was trying to establish your frame of reference which I now understand is the same company's cheaper box, fine. I'm sure their pricing department will be pleased but presumably those in the market for a streamer at that price level would kind of hope that would be the case as a minimum.

Can't speak for others but I regard comparisons within the same brand as pretty limited and would throw a couple of alternatives into the mix to get a better idea of what's possible for similar outlay.

20. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I'm not one of those. I don't think all amplifiers, DACs etc all sound the same.

Nor am I rubbishing this DAC, I haven't heard it. What I have heard before is all the hyperbole surrounding Naim's latest product. Many times. It was the same story when the NAC52 came out, the CDS, SBL, you name it, always the same story. Then you get to listen to the stuff and sure, maybe it is good, but the actual step up never, ever justifies the hype that surrounded it. Maybe this DAC is different, but I doubt it.