1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Young, Bright and On The Right

Discussion in 'off topic' started by matthewr, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Neither red nor blue. Once I'd attained the age of reason, I realised that all politicians are fundamentally dishonest, either through choice or expedience.

But it's undeniably true that the prevailing 'mood music' of both the BBC and The Guardian is soft-left, and so a BBC programme called 'Young, Bright and on the Right' is bound to be a piss-take. Plus it'd be hard to find a rhyme for 'left'. 'Young, Bereft, and on the Left' maybe.

“Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule—and both commonly succeed, and are right.”

H L Mencken

2. Anex

Anex Señor Member

Yes, Joe came across as a very genuine, albeit misguided person. I hope his realisation he had to basically sell himself out to fit in might make him question where he's headed.

3. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

I couldn't decide whether the programme was a spoof or not. If not it was painful to watch and I can't understand how the conservatives manage to change their socks in a successful manner. It was Boris Johnson meets tompkinson's schooldays.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I have just reflected on this and I think back to the Thatcher person's speech when she became prime minister. The crap about bringing everyone together and unifying the country. She then took 8 years to brew up a tantrum.

4. MVV

MVV pfm Member

I agree with most of that. However the scene with Chris in the punt was definitely played for laughs.

I has made me think. Something about the lure of power and privilege for the truly powerless. The need to belong and be significant for the rejected outsider and how easy it is to find oneself (as viewer) aligned with the bullies when unquestioningly being led by our own prejudices.

5. Anex

Anex Señor Member

That's only one way of watching it though - I didn't find any of it funny really, biscuit comment aside. As you say, they're both clearly longing to belong. Chris appears to have some pretty difficult personality / behavioural issues although istm he copes with them fairly well, but because the people he has decided he wishes to belong with are basically arse holes, they took advantage of his naivety (or his ability to live in denial - I couldn't really work out which it was).

He seemed to have little understanding of what politics really means - no one just decides at that sort of age (I forget what he said - 9 or 10?) that they belong to political party and no one has fully formed political ideas by then (if they do, they're pretty simplistic ones), and referred to the Tory party 'taking people's toys away' and so on as though politics has no real effect on lives. He basically seemed to be going for the Boris Johnson look and saying what he thought Tories should say - the comment about the US and Belgium for example, and his view that Joe should have kept quiet about the Nazi cnuts in the other university Conservative club.

And Joe seemed like he might well be a reasonable person somewhere under the ridiculous Tory stereotype act. He too seemed to have no understanding of politics and was more interested in his appearance, plotting and tactical resignation than anything else. His 'politics' were more The Thick of It and Yes Minister than anything else. But some of what he said was genuinely touching, and again, he seemed to be getting played off by the real nasty privileged bastards conservatism always attracts.

Whether Joe or Chris ever make it to 'real' politics or not, the glimpse of the rest of the clowns who will make it in to the future Tory party is deeply saddening. And before anyone comes along with some misguided comment about it being good if they annoy 'the left', think about the anti-Semitism you'll be supporting by doing so.

6. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

Chaps

The programme was about 2 young bright men who aspired to a political career. Neither of them made the mark and both are now history. One was too emotional and the other lacked charisma. Both lacked judgement.

The ones with potential steered well away from the programme.

What the programme showed is that any aspiring student with political ambition is going to be bloody good to make a name for himself.

The few that do are cabinet material and the 3 years at uni teach them everything from how to get your ideas through the system, how to manipulate other people and also it teaches you to protect your back.

It is a well oiled machine and even Nulab are copying it as with Ed Milliband at uni and Chuka Umunna at compass.

Grooming at an early age gets results in some people.

Regards

Mick

7. Anex

Anex Señor Member

Hmmm... the machine seems over-due an oil change to me.

8. Mick P

Then do something about it - moaning here won't achieve anything.

9. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Incarceration?

10. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

Reviewing my thoughts over night I see many parallels with the "successful" politicians from either party.

Portillo was approaching mad when in power and his strange overtly right wing views pandering to the right in the conservative party were sad to see. he failed in his leadership bid to a twit. subsequently I have seen him on various programs and he appears to have grown up and appears to be a pleasant enough chap. I can't see him being a right wing loony any more.

IDS was an embarrassing mess, but astonishingly the Tory buffoon has made mayor of london.

The left do have some mad buggers too, some of whom have been relatively successful for a while. Just out of politics are such scheming types as scargill?? We also have the mad such a george"the cat". How the hell did anyone vote for him?

Just have a look at the wiki for Gove. He was described as insufficiently conservative. He's just changed his spots to foster approval from the idiots on the right. At least many from the left have confirmed opinions rather than blowing about in the wind. The left have been guilty of the same , Wilson being a scheming and probably corrupt opportunist.

11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Grooming at an early age gets results in some people.

spooky or what?

12. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

our own right-wing comedy has just started on this side of the atlantic:

meet your new VP candidate:

[​IMG]

now this guy is super clever about economics and has the highly innovative/original view that lowering taxes (especially for the rich) and cutting government spending is the key to economic recovery.

...paul ryan says:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/08/paul-ryan-and-ayn-rand.html

vuk.

13. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

If an Ayn Rand supporter gets in over the pond, Chris and Mick will most likely explode.

14. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

And worse he has been consistently dishonest about the whole thing : Ryan's Budget: The Most Fraudulent Proposal in American History

15. Mick P

16. mikehunt

mikehunt pfm Member

Check your map, Wisconsin is nowhere near the south.

17. Mick P

It is south of London, so its bloody south OK.

The guy is still a bloody redneck.

18. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

mick.

please tell us how he is a redneck and why you aren't a redneck too? i can't tell your political view apart from his.

vuk.

19. mikehunt

mikehunt pfm Member

How daft of me not to realise this is what you meant.

20. Mick P

No problem.