1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your album of the year so far?

Discussion in 'music' started by Michael L, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Michael L

Michael L pfm Member

Utterly subjective, of course, but for me its probably A Girl Called Eddy and her self-titled album. A bit like Nico meets Leonard Cohen.

Which I like.

2. prowla

prowla pfm Member

I'm liking Audioslave's "Out of Exile".

3. Eels - Blinking Lights and other revelations...a work of absolute genius!

and I'm going to see them on Wednesday at t'Albert 'all...hooray!

Paul

4. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

hard-fi the kings of cctv

5. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Sufjan Stevens - (Come on feel the) Illinois

M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us

So far!

Regards

Stephen

6. SteveB

SteveB Wir sind schaufensterpuppen

By a long margin, it's In the Heart of the Moon by Ali Farke Touré and Tioumani Diabate.
    Honourable mention in second place to Mighty Re-arranger by Robert Plant.

Steve.

7. ErikL

ErikL pfm Member

Either Sufjan Stevens "Illinoise" or Fiery Furnaces "EP". Too close to call.

8. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

This.

Nothing else yet released this century is as good.

-- Ian

9. AndyFelin

AndyFelin You call that art?

Mercy Now by Mary Gauthier - by a country mile.

10. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

11. Marmite

Marmite tea jenny

"The Woods" by Sleater-Kinney, despite being recorded using 2 tin cans and a length of string. Also the best band I've seen this year.

"Cuts Across The Land" by The Duke Spirit trails in second. Makes me feel dirty just listening to it.

12. rod

rod beach bum

Released this year: Clutch - Robot Hive / Exodus

Heard for the first time this year: Sussan Deyhim - Turbulent

13. dss

dss Musical Bons

This year:

Merzbow - Merzbuddha

looking forward for the next installment.

DS

14. B GIBBONS BEARD

B GIBBONS BEARD boogie-in to the groove ,

the Foos new quadruple vinyl offering , In Your Honour.............half flat -out half chill-out..............mr Dave has done it again !

bb

15. Chumpy

Chumpy pfm Member

For me, Kaiser Chiefs - in 'Employment' ... vinyl worth getting as well as 'box' SE version. Nice fun artwork/fun songs based on lots of the good old ones.

Most stimulating newer release I've heard for many years.

16. Fanny Cradock

Fanny Cradock Legs Akimbo

Thunder Lightening Strike by The Go! Team and Love Kraft by the Super Furries are my faves currantly.

17. glenda

glenda pfm Member

FB - The Super Furries are live on Mark Radcliffe Radio 2 on Thursday . My fave album to date is by fellow Welsh Warblers - Soft Hearted Scientists - Uncanny Tales From Everyday Undergrowth.
    Glenda

18. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

Best discovery is Ian Moore's August 2004 release, titled Luminaria. Not quite up to the standard of his previous album ('And All The Colors', which I may have mentioned, is my favorite album ever); this newer one is merely excellent. He's completely shed the 'guitar god' image, but his 'songwriting god' aura is coming along nicely.

19. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Another vote for Sufjan Stevens, Illinois - just sees off Six Organs of Admittance: School of the Flower

Very few runners up: Iron and Wine /Calexico: In The Reins, Teenage Fanclub: Man Made, the latest Masada 50th Birthday release ( I think its from this year)
    Must get that ROVA record Ian is raving about.
    Not one of the richer years, thus far.

Kevin

20. Fanny Cradock

Fanny Cradock Legs Akimbo

Thanks Glenda, I'll see what time it's on, I'll see if I can check out SHS too.