1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your album of the year so far?

Discussion in 'music' started by Michael L, Oct 10, 2005.

1. JRH

JRH Member

on which CDP you get. My Wadia 301 makes me want to listen to ceedee's. I enjoy both my vinyl and digital systems. Those folks that are exclusive to one format are just plain missing out. Free yourself.

2. JRH

JRH Member

;-)

3. Miller-8

Miller-8 pfm Member

My NOS-DAC has really improved CD listening for me. It's taken my CD player to a whole different level.

4. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Now, boys, let's get this straight. This thread is entitled "your album of the year so far". It is a thread for the learned members to share their views on the best records they have bought or heard this year. The answer, it seems, is Illinoise by Sufjan Stevens, a thing of loveliness which, to my ears, may come to sit with records like Forever Changes, Astral Weeks or The Milk Eyed Mender for its musical subtlety, inspired arrangements which bridge the mainstream and the leftfield and its lyrical reflections on human existence and the relationship between the subjective and the universal.

If you go to the top of the page, click discussion then audio you may find or indeed create a thread on the subject of the best machine to buy if you wish your cds to sound like vinyl. Personally, at this point in time, all music sounds better played on my i-pod via a cassette adapter in my Saab 900.

Kevin

5. space cadet

space cadet dronefed and floating

Too early to say as I haven't got Sunn0)))'s Black One, Vashti Bunyan's Lookingaftering, Jack Rose's Kensington Blues or the new Pelt yet...

6. cliffpatte

cliffpatte Speed camera anarchist

Never heard of any of them, how does it compare to Imaginary Day by Pat Metheny?

Ahh reading back, I now know who did Milk Eyed Mender, and is "Forever changes" really "Love - Forever changes" by Arthur Lee ? and I presume Astral Weeks is the Van Morrison album from the 60s is that right ?

7. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Really?

None of these folky albums are remotely similar to the hyper-constructed album that is "Imaginary Day". I enjoy both genres, btw.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

8. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

the new bbc live session gilles peterson cd.
    hope they do it on vinyl.

9. Michael L

Michael L pfm Member

The Grumpy Lamp Posts: "I Am A Belisha Beacon."

10. cliffpatte

Your makin it up mate ...

11. Michael L

Michael L pfm Member

Ummm

yes.

I though I'd join in. Done it before and nobody blinked.

12. Eric L

Eric L pfm Member

It's out on vinyl next month.

Would someone who knows both please compare it to "Michigan"? I was a bit underwhelmed by the latter. Is "Illinoise" pretty similar, or significantly better?

13. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Of course not. "Love -Forever Changes" by Arthur Lee is a tribute band version of "Forever Changes" by Love. Arthur Lee is one of the only people who could form a tribute band to a group he was once part of. And Brian Wilson, of course. Read "Pierre Minaud, Author of the Quixote" by Borges and all will become clear.

Is Imaginary Day post bop Pat as in the Trio records, Post modern Pat as in Zero Tolerance, or slightly ponderous Pat as in Secret Stories? If it's the first two I may investigate

Kevin

14. Ste_S

Ste_S Member

It's out now. I picked it up on vinyl from Swordfish in Birmingham a couple of days ago. Nice vinyl package too.

15. JohnG

JohnG pfm Member

Front Parlour Ballads
    wonderful sound, wonderful songs - and apparently their just about to release the vinyl version....

yet another double purchase...

cheers
    John

16. cliffpatte

Its certainly better than Secret Story. and its definitely post the others. Its one of my fave PM albums, and compares favourably to Off Ramp and Bright Size Life, and what more can I say.

17. nickl

nickl pfm Member

As someone who bought Illinoise first, then Michigan, my contribution is that Illinoise is better by a reasonable margin. I still like Michigan a lot though, which may meant that you're still underwhelmed by Illinoise. IYSWIM.

And very well done it was too, if you don't mind ne saying. Katie Melua - almost fell for it!

18. AndyFelin

AndyFelin You call that art?

Belisha Beacon was the singer in an obscure punk band called Spencers Braces. They played around south Essex for a couple of years in the late '70s.

Andy

19. AndyFelin

AndyFelin You call that art?

Danny Spencer was the drummer and, yes, he always wore braces.

20. Anex

Anex Señor Member

Joanna Newsom too, same story, or 6 Organs, or m83, or Boards of Canada. Or quite possibly Based on A True Story by Fat Freddy's Drop which I haven't seen mentioned very much which is a shame because its absolutely blindingly good, particularly 'Roadie'. Only just ordered illinois so will decide on that when I get it.