1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite type of music

Discussion in 'music' started by donmusic, Oct 22, 2009.

1. donmusic

donmusic Let's talk about music and DIY

What would you consider to be your favorite type of music? I seem to like a little bit of everything and can appreciate just about any genre.

2. el34eh

el34eh pfm Member

Hi Donmusic,

For me that's an easy enough question, as I'd have to say Jazz. As my Dad and I used to have listening sessions every Friday night from the time I was 8 years old until I went off to join the U.S. Marine Corp at 16, as this was his Music of choice and after many years of attempting to understand why?, then one day during the early 90's I was visiting an Audio Store in Ann Arbor MI. called Accutronics which was ran by none other the Ernie of the now Audiogon site, he was playing Jazz Pianist by the name of Stephen Scott for customer which sounded quite nice, until that was this was followed by Thelonious Monk's - Miste'oso..................., was I ever taken back to what many of the artist of this time - mainly between '53 - 1963 where actually doing better then these young lions whom where simply attempting to mimic the sound of their elders, yet didn't have the same emotion, nor technique required to pull it off.

Many years since, I've tried to re-educate many visitor into my home to the merits of just how sound Music can sound without words, which is the first think they mention when I tell them I'm into Jazz, yet as I tend to question many of them about some of the better Movies ever made?, many tend to state Movies from either the same period as above.........., then I ask them what moved you most about the Movie in question, and the response would more then not, the acting along with the soundtrack - after this I would ask them once you get home, could you view the artist on these Soundtracks and call me to tell me who they were?, and - you guessed it -

They were by Jazz Musicians................, I mean things like:

The Sweet Smell of Success - Anatomy Of A Murder - Siesta -Mo' Better Blues - She's Gotta Have it [ Spike Lee Movies featuring his father the Bassist Bill Lee ] and Falcon and The Snowman to name a few, yet if you think about this for a moment, I'm certain that you too will see, just how some of the best soundtracks know to man have all at some point of another been influenced by Jazz Artist.

Just food for thought, as well as an observation since said period.

Regards,
    - Oscar

3. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

I would say Americana or alt. Country or what ever you want to call it.

4. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

My favorite is "British Invasion".

5. Cav

Cav pfm Member

British/Irish Folk

6. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Prog Rock.

7. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Blues, classic rock, and a smattering of female jazz vocalists.

8. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

I only listen to Liberace

9. panda

panda pfm Member

blues-rock
    electric blues guitar is one of a kind sound and screams with emotion.

10. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

Russ Conway, Mrs Mills and the immortal Bobby Crush:eek:

11. donmusic

donmusic Let's talk about music and DIY

Are you thinking of like Country Western or more of the pop culture genre? I am just curious. I enjoy this type of music too.

12. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Not forgetting Joe "Mr Piano" Henderson...

13. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

How could I forget "Mr Piano"???.....Reminds me....What about Ronnie "Two Pianos" Aldrich (do a google search, a real legend!):D

14. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I like every type of music except free jazz and avant-garde classical. My favourite is that purveyed by the mighty Half Man Half Biscuit.

15. dss

dss Musical Bons

Only German Minimal Techno, specifically on the Ost Gut Ton label is it.

DS

16. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

I like a wide range of Country influenced music. I do like some full on Country stuff too as long as its not to commercial.

It appears that I like contemporary or American folk as well. We that's how Amazon categorises some of my recent purchases!

17. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

I grew up on 60's pop, was into disco in the late 1970's, has had an era of liking country and nowadays listens mostly to jazz.

I like american folk, blues, soul and R&B to. In fact, as long as the music been in America some time or other, I seem to dig it.

JohanR

18. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

This is simple: my favorite is ideas-driven music... it can be in any style as long as the creators have put some thought and attempted to contextualize the various elements that make it up.

19. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

The Fall

20. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

My mum knew Russ Conway really well and he lived in a bungalow about 100 yds away from her until he died a few years back. They were good friends.
    I didn't know who he was of course. It always used to go like this:

"Mum, who exactly is Russ Conway then?"
    "Sidesaddle!"
    "Huh?"
    "Sidesaddle!!"
    "What do you mean?"
    "You know...'Sidesaddle'...da da dad daa daa da da daa daa..."
    "...(sigh)..Never mind"