1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favourite music book?

Discussion in 'music' started by Damas, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Damas

Damas pfm Member

I'm after a book charting the history of rock & roll, from it's early roots in the 40s & 50s.

Searching the net, The Rolling Stone history seems OK but also has plenty of critics.

I would like a pointer for the above but to make the thread more general what is your favourite book about music (of any type) and why?

2. rr19991029

rr19991029 pfm Member

Although - it's been a long, long time since I read it, the music book that made the biggest impression on me (as an impressionable teenager) was `Diary of a Rock and Roll Star` by Ian Hunter.

I don't know if it's still in print and I would imagine that it's quite dated now as it was set in the early seventies.

Robin

3. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Psychotic Reactions and Carburettor Dung is an excellent collection of Lester Bangs' reviews and rants, and completely essential.

Charles Mingus's Beneath The Underdog makes me laugh like a drain.

-- Ian

4. kjb

kjb pfm Member

"These have cost me a lot of money recently:
    1) Paul Morley: Words and Music - wonderfully pretentious, full of passion and with half a dozen or so "Best 100 Records of All Time" lists full of things i either love, never got round to buying or have never heard of. From reading this I now have records by Prefuse 73, Neu, Mum, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Four Tet, N>E>R>D> to name a few.

2) The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD: again, passion, opinion, informed jusdements. Had me huntinh down the Komeda Quartet, John McLaughlin's Extrapolations, Sonny Rollins Live at the Village Vanguard, EST Play Monk, Sun Ra records I'd never heard of!

I tend to judge the success of a music book by how much money I spend after I've read it. These have certainly cost me!

Kevin

5. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

hi Kevin, good to see you here.

-- Ian

6. joel

joel Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors

Paul Oliver - Savannah Syncopators. Highly unfashionable in "ethno" circles (everyone reckons they have a much better theory than Oliver), but fascinating and incredibly informative. It is also well written and gratifyingly concise.