1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favourite Van Morrison Album Thread

Discussion in 'music' started by Barry williams, May 28, 2015.

1. I have pretty much every album he has ever done on vinyl and CD.
    This is still my most loved and most played.
    [​IMG]
    Whats yours?

2. snorbans

snorbans pfm Member

Perhaps poetics is a surprising choice but he was in a purple patch in the late eighties. No guru and inarticulate speech great but Astral Weeks or the moon dance album are extraordinary

3. RBrinsdon

RBrinsdon pfm Member

In the event of a fire, I would just grab "It's Too Late to Stop Now" - not just my fave Van album but the best live album ever and that tour yielded one of my top three gigs when they played Birmingham Town Hall.

Surprisingly, my number 1 Van track is "Snow in San Anselmo" from Hard Nose - one of his less critically acclaimed and loved albums.

4. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

Paid a visit to some pals in Oxford a few years back. They'd gotten tickets to a gig as a surprise but wouldn't tell me who it was till we arrived at the venue.

Van Morrison with Georgie Fame, Brian Kennedy and a few other notables in the band.

I was crestfallen....I'll never get those hours back!

I do like one or two songs from his days with Them. Other than that I find his output unlistenable.

5. Singslinger

Singslinger pfm Member

The Philosopher's Stone for me. Every track a gem.

6. lennyw

lennyw Still throwing Eephus pitches

Astral Weeks is the obvious choice, but I'm with RBrinsdon: It's Too Late to Stop Now is such a lot of fun!

7. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

I'm a huge fan of Van the Man, but picking the best is difficult because they're all so stonkingly good (well, apart from Pay The Devil). I suppose I'd give it to Enlightenment by a whisker.

8. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Astral Weeks.
    I stick on the Live at Montreux 1980 DVD as a "Best of"

9. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Astral Weeks, obvs.

10. boneman

boneman pfm Member

Close between Astral Weeks and Moondance for me with the nudge to Moondance because of "Into the Mystic" (version with the tambourine overdub).

11. mat_mcg

mat_mcg pfm Member

Veedon Fleece, for me. Not a huge fan, although I like him just fine, but I do love that album. One of my favourites.

Peter Stockwell likes this.
  12. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall pfm Member

Moondance for me!

13. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

I love Common One ('When Heart Is Open' is an amazing 15 minutes).

oldius likes this.
  14. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I love 'Hard Nose the Highway' and 'Common One' is also a great album. The famous two (Astral Weeks and Moondance) would also be on my list.

15. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Astral weeks, Moondance and Tupelo Honey

16. GaryT

GaryT pfm Member

Seconded, not a bad track. There is a fantastic live version of 'Summertime in England' on the 'B' side of the 'Cry for Home' single. It was recorded in the Ulster Hall, Belfast, and it blows the roof off the place. Well worth hunting down a copy (especially on 12").
    Gary

17. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

Veedon Fleece.

Streets of Arklow raises a lump in my throat every time.

18. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

I remember picking that 12" up (but not buying) in my local HMV at the time of it's release (what a fool!)...Thanks for the tip off I shall investigate :cool:.

19. SamS

SamS pfm Member

Moondance and Poetics get the most play around here.

20. mickyricky

mickyricky pfm Member

"It's too late to stop now" terrific album followed by Hymns to the Silence and Enlightenment