1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favourite Van Morrison Album Thread

Discussion in 'music' started by Barry williams, May 28, 2015.

1. acinder

acinder pfm Member

I think i might have seen his car yesterday. I was driving past the Crawfordsburn Inn and noticed a fancy sports type car at the car park entrance with the reg no G12VAN. He is well known to frequent this establishment and also the Culloden Hotel. Im putting 2 & 2 together and probably getting 5. Either it was his car or else his biggest fan. I didnt stop to go inside to check if he was there.

2. carruthersesq

carruthersesq pfm Member

Hi Alex how you doing?

I may have to take a wee trip over and stay at the Culloden hotel if I get the chance to meet him. My favourite artist of all time. ��

3. sandwer

sandwer New Member

Not one mention of 'Back on Top'? It is my favourite, with 'Veedon Fleece' a close second and 'The Philosopher's stone' a third.

Anyone heard Robyn Hitchcock's version of Linden Arden?

R

4. stefane

stefane pfm Member

Very hard to make a decision on his Top 5, but currently it looks like that for me:

Veedon Fleece
    Astral Weeks
    Saint Dominic's Preview
    Common One
    Tupelo Honey

5. narabdela

narabdela who?

I quite like Pay the Devil, but yes, Enlightenment is a good call.

6. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Astral Weeks - blew my mind when it came out and still does it for me.

7. Moko

Moko pfm Member

Last year he sat right behind me whilst I ate my Sunday lunch in a Hampstead Pub....trying to be discreet I asked my friend to take a picture of me and get as much of the background in as possible. Of course she had no idea who was sat right behind me so decided to completely focus on me....so I now have a great shot of me eating a roast with a tiny blurred bit of Van Morrison in the top corner but you’d need a forensic expert to recognise Van....useless!!!

8. Paul Gravett

Paul Gravett Good Bot Gone Bad

St Dominic's Preview (1972)
    Veedon Fleece (1974)
    Into the Mystic (1979)
    Beautiful Vision (1982)
    Avalon Sunset (1989)
    Hymns to the Silence (1991)
    The Healing Game (1997)
    Down the Road (2002)
    In chronological order, not order of preference. If I had to pick one it would probably be Veedon Fleece. Unlike most Van fans I don't think Astral Weeks is amongst his finest work. Half the tracks are excellent, the others aren't.

9. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

Astral Weeks
    Irish Heartbeat

Anyone know why Veedon Fleece and Irish Heartbeat CDs go for so much on Discogs. I have both and their median values are currently £20.53 and £12.85 respectively. Wouldn't have thought they'd be produced in limited quantities.

10. monstrous lie

monstrous lie Infinitely Baffled

Agree! It's a real sleeper.
    Hard not to mention Astral Weeks and Philosopher's Stone, though.
    ML

11. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

To Late to Stop Now (as I was at the Rainbow Concert in July 1973)
    Astral Weeks
    Saint Dominic's Preview

12. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Was at the Rainbow gig as well, which was fantastic. Other than that album it is Astral Weeks, Moondance and Veedon Fleece for me.

Jack

13. Mal45

Mal45 pfm Member

Birmingham Town Hall in 73 for me - and Van and the Caledonia Soul Orchestra produced one of the two best gigs I've ever been at (Dead at Lyceum 72 was the other one). As to albums, Astral Weeks is definitely number one, followed by Moondance. Then in no particular order Too Late, St Dominic and Veedon Fleece. Irish Heartbeat is uneven but has some absolutely great moments.

Malc

14. Engels

Engels pfm Member

Moondance... helped by what THAT scene in American Werewolf did to me as a young man

15. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Only slightly off topic.... I'll just leave this here. A truly satisfying performance by Van, Brian Kennedy et.al. Plus the attraction of the very lovely Kate St John on sax. I saw more or less this line up at the Apollo Manchester a couple of decades
    back.

16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I’m with the OP. Poetic Champions. Beyond the early classics I’m also very attached to Wavelength and Irish Heartbeat.

17. Joe

Joe pfm Member

There is a CD issue that has two bonus tracks... one of those tracks is a version of Whenever God Shines His Light without the saintly Cliff on it.

The other bonus track is a mesmeric cover of " When the Saints go marching in " with Van playing some beautiful sax.

18. Bob F

Bob F pfm Member

Poetic champions , but so many brilliant albums. Its too late..probably one of the best ever live albums, it creates an amazing atmosphere.

Seen VM many times . First time was Knebworth 1974, he was awesome, the gig was only a short time after Its too late was recorded.

What a gig that was. ...in order on the day ...Tim Buckley, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Van Morrison, The Doobie Brothers and the Allman Brothers Band. All for ony £3.50!!

Good Memories
    Bob F

19. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Astral Weeks, because it is the best album by anyone, anywhere at any time.
    Well. it's number 1 on my top twenty anyway :)

Weekender likes this.
  20. Speed triple

Speed triple Active Member

Veedon Fleece
    The Philosophers Stone