1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your final turntable

Discussion in 'audio' started by DavidS, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Vince

Vince pfm Member

Never seen before that wall shelf.
    Nice, very nice.
    Vincenzo

2. waxkinglyrical

waxkinglyrical pfm Member

Not remotely my intention, you are not expected to sign up to Tapeheads, where incidentally I am a member, the one who posts the images of turntables, tonearms and cartridge galleries.

The reason the link is there is due to my inability to place the image on PFM. I repeatedly went through the process, previewed what looked like the finished text and image, presented it only for it not to load for some reason.

The issue may be due to non having a photo hosting site, most images I use are cached in a Mac mini program and then uploaded from there.

If any of the moderators wish to contact me I’ll pass on the image via email.

3. Salamander

Salamander pfm Member

Looks like I've found my last tt, unless I win the lottery, but don't like them odds. A Technics SL150 mk2 partnered with Rega RB600, both recently purchased off ebay just to see what all the fuss was about with dd turntables. It will replace my beloved PTtoo, not because it sounds better, it doesn't sound worse either, but it's so easy to use, no faffing when using 180gm discs and the Techie just feels so solid after only using sprung decks for more than 30 years.
    Well just in case I did defy those lottery odss, how's about a Transrotor Rondino Nero FMD
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue61/transrotor.htm

4. pqpq

pqpq pfm Member

I have a 1962 oil bearing Garrard 301 on a huge slate plinth with a Trans-Fi Terminator. The chances of me ever changing that are very close to zero, but cartridges come and go.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  5. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

LP12, nearly 40 years old now, nothing much done to it, original bearing, original felt mat, fitted with an Ittok and Karma.

Yes have had others but the LP12 was always in the system as well, it just works.

What more can you ask.

Thorn, stephen bennett and Woodface like this.
  6. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

After many, many decks, I have (another) LP12/Ittok at home and it sounds and looks the deal.

Woodface likes this.
  7. claire.foxx

claire.foxx Trans lives matter

My final turntable was the DIY one (build story possibly still lurking archived in /diy). I sometimes write an unnecessary software update for the tri-motor controller but that’s is just fiddling at the edges.

8. dave charlton

dave charlton pfm member

My eighteen year old P9. One oil change, a second pair of white belts and replacement of the lid hinges. Still sounding and looking good imho.

Tim Jones likes this.
  9. hockman

hockman pfm Member

My sentiments exactly. Unless I can get my hands on a 1200G, I reckon I'd be very happy with my 1200mk2. I don't pretend that it's the last word on sound quality, but it sounds great, is bullet-proof in build, easy to set up, adjust and use, reliable and spare parts are easily available and affordable. After many wasted years of audiophilia, I prefer to just listen and enjoy music rather than faff about or change equipment. It's just going to get more so as I get older I think.

Funny, no one would ever think of a Techy as a 'final' turntable!

10. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

After buying this Pioneer PLC-590 in 2014 I have never looked for anything else it works flawlessly, 33/45 and the press of a button, Had a SME 3009 Mk2 on it at first and have recently changed that for a Micro Sieki MA 505 which is better IMO

[​IMG]20180607_220738 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_2242 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

11. Tantris

Tantris pfm Member

I've used a Lumley Heliosphere for the last four years or so (replacing a Rega Planar 3), and will probably stick with this for some time;
    [​IMG]

12. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Some lovely looking decks on show
    I've been faithful to my LP12 since 1993, but have had my head turned multiple times lately, particularly on this thread

Tarzan likes this.
  13. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Agreed threads like this can be bad news.:D

14. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

The P9 is a superb deck, and significantly underrated IMO, having owned one for a decade.

My "final" deck is the one I'm lucky enough to own - an SME 20/3A. If it has a fault, it's that it utterly lacks the P9's sheer ease of use, setup and transportability.

15. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

And in my opinion the SME is not as emotionally involving as the NA Dais. But it is a well engineered device.

16. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

That's my experience of all modern sme

17. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

PLC-590's decent, but not exceptional. It's very pretty though. I briefly used one at home around 1978-79 IIRC, but I don't think there were many imported into the UK.

The MA505 though is a thing of wonder. Fantastic piece of engineering. Sadly at the time it was difficult to even give them away, like a lot of the other top class Japanese arms, too heavy to work well on a Linn so opportunities were limited.

I can well imagine that's a combination which would bring anyone great joy, even if just to look at and fiddle with occasionally.

Woodface likes this.
  18. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

It will be an Oracle Delphi V with a Kuzma Stogi, which my mate has willed to me, providing I outlast him.

He's a smoker and I'm a drinker, so it's a bit of a toss up...

joe9407 and Woodface like this.
  19. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

I would have hoped it wouldn't come to this. But I have never had an opportunity to compare an NA Dais to an SME20 over an extended period, so have no comparator.

Have you?

20. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I owned a 20 for six years, you could never have called it lively