1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Loudspeaker history...

Discussion in 'audio' started by Jonathan Ribee, Mar 6, 2008.

1. gryphongryph

gryphongryph Member

Qln Signature, then Amphion Xenon (still have) newest edition is a pair of lovely Graham Audio LS 5/9 in Rosewood.

2. Buntobox

Buntobox pfm Member

Leak 3030 (1977)
    Acoustic Research AR12 (1979)
    JBL L15 (1984) later added two kit-built subwoofers (1987)
    Meridian DSP5000 (1994)
    Meridian DSP7200.2 (2015)

3. martinab2

martinab2 pfm Member

Goodmans Q30 (bought from Comet with a Pioneer SA420 - sounded horrible although much improved on the end of an old valve amplifier)
    Philips RH541 MFB (great bass from a small box - surprisingly musical)
    IMF TLS50 (heavy and slow - tried with all sorts of different amps without success)
    KEF K120 (partnered with LP12/Linn Intek - my favourite setup of the 90s)
    Quad ESL57 (everyone should own a pair at least once)
    Tannoy Mercury M20 (great with a Quad 303)
    JPW AP2 (good bass for the size)
    KEF K120 (another pair - I used them till the woofer surrounds turned to dust)
    Monitor Audio RX1 (good for detail speed and timing but irritatingly bright long-term)
    Kirishima double mouth horns (with SE 2A3 amp the best for 'being there' imaging)

Naim SBL (on the end of LP12/72/HiCap/Snaxo/140s probably the best all rounder so-far)

4. timola

timola pfm Member

Kef 104AB (always had the mid bias on +, bass was whooly, nice mid though)
    Misson 770 (very thin bass, never liked ported speakers after this experience)
    Kef 104 MK2 (far too boomy in my room...only lasted 2 weeks)
    Linn Kans Mk2 (loved these for many years, 10 perhaps, very musical and fast)
    Linn Isobariks passive and active nowadays, love their coloured sound.