1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Zappa - Help

Discussion in 'music' started by blossomchris, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Rk19

Rk19 pfm Member

Hot Rats
    Apostrophe
    Overnite Sensation
    Live at the Fillmore

I used to see him live around this stage so may be biased. ��

2. Rk19

Rk19 pfm Member

And once you're used to the idiom, then try Sut up n' play

3. IceG

IceG pfm Member

Inspired by this thread I purchased the Zappa records 2012 CD release of Sheik Yerbouti.

I am very familar with this album having been listening to it since it was released. The CD has vey good sound quality but it still cannot connect the impact of the opening drum-kit like my ancient vinyl copy.

I have listened to many of the "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" series (six double-CD alums) at friends and there is some gold amongst the huge amount of music. Which specifically would anyone suggest as a first purchase - I was thinking Vols 1 and 2?

4. lsinclair

lsinclair pfm Member

All essential IMHO. My favourites are 4, 2 and 1 in that order. 2 is out of step with the rest of the series as it features a single concert. It has a very compressed bass drum sound but once you get past that the performances of the One Size Fits All and Roxy material are staggering.

5. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

For me there is a classic trio of albums which are One size fits all, Apostrophe and over night sensation all very approachable , and then there is always Hot rats.

6. garyi

garyi leave blank

Live at the hammersmith is also a very good live triple.

7. murphythecat

murphythecat pfm Member

def. sound quality is also very good.
    watermelon in easter way version is my fav from him.

8. scottcarpenter

scottcarpenter pfm Member

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

What's the view on Waka Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo? I get the impression from reviews that as someone who's taste is more out on the jazz end of things than rock these days they may be worth a punt.

10. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

11. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Two of his best, imo. Like you, my taste is more jazz than rock, so I prefer these two, Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny Sandwich and the One Size Fits All/Roxy stuff to his later work.

12. lsinclair

lsinclair pfm Member

I'm not particularly fond of Waka/Jawaka but I like The Grand Wazoo (although the vinyl running order makes more sense to me.) The second half is particularly good with lots of George Duke, always a good thing, and Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus, Zappa's best pop tune after Peaches en Regalia and which should have been released as a single IMO.

13. garyi

garyi leave blank

Waka for me all the way

14. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

My copy of Sheik Yerbouti has arrived. Sq is very good, will take a few listens to get into this, more accessible than I imagined. Lyrics have ample sarcasm which suits.

What one do I get for my 2nd and last Zappa recording. Not so keen on big guitar solos.

Bloss

15. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

"One Size Fits All" LP or CD should do the trick.

16. monkfish

monkfish pfm Member

Both great albums and the UME remasters sound great as well.

17. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

18. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

19. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

[​IMG]

If you like Yerbouti, you're probably going to like his other 'musical' work—Joe's Garage and possibly 200 Motels (the latter of which was introduced to me by my Maths' teacher at school. He'd probably be arrested today!)

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  20. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

No love for Jazz From Hell?