1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Zavvi

Discussion in 'music' started by AlexG, Dec 24, 2008.

1. AlexG

AlexG ...

Gone into administration.

2. aquapiranha

aquapiranha pfm Member

Is anyone surprised? thier prices are a joke, and they cater mainly for mainstream. I can order most things at least 50% cheaper online.

3. prowla

prowla pfm Member

No surprise: the prices are high and the shop layouts are a mess.
    I went into one yesterday to buy a "Now" compilation CD and couldn't find it.

4. nightcleaner

nightcleaner pfm Member

have to watch out for the big sale there then. I always liked the jazz section

5. Azzy

Azzy pfm Member

full page newspaper ad for a clearout sale in the paper today
    *stickered stock only / while stocks last

so prob not related and another 'oh look it's on sale 10% higher than i can get it elsewhere....'

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I have a feeling it's a supply chain thing - I understand they were supplied by Entertainment UK, a very large music & DVD distribution company which was part of Woolworths. I worked as an IT / Network contractor at their Hayes branch for a while about 10 years ago, a huge place.

First of many I suspect sadly. The whole thing is a house of cards, pull one out and the whole lot goes.

Tony.

7. Azzy

Azzy pfm Member

I actually quite like Zavvi, manchester shop had 'some' vinyl and it seemed cheaper than the super expensive HMV - still miss pre bought out Fopp in Manchester though :(

8. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

yeah, I popped in zavvi's to do a bit of last minute shopping - and paid a fiver over the odds for a dvd... :(

9. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

I was in Zavvi Tottenham Court Road London just Sunday past. Fantastic array of vinyl (except sold out of Killers LP I went in there for!). Marvin Gaye LPs (new, sealed) for £7. Other LPs such as 22 Dreams by Paul Weller about the same price as HMV. I know the store in Edinburgh closed a while ago - but it was always in a daft position 2 doors away from a 3 floor HMV!

10. JH1

JH1 pfm Member

Hope no one else has any Voucher cards for Zavvi...they are no longer accepting them. Went in today to try and use them up before they completely grind to a close - they'll happily take your cash, but they won't honour the cash they've already been paid for vouchers. Yep...money that isn't actually theirs they are keeping and not allowing people to have back by the look of things!! Gave some excuse that the website would explain all but there is nothing on there.:mad:

11. prowla

prowla pfm Member

I think the administrators should have something to say about that...

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That is utterly disgraceful - I'd ensure I damaged at least that value of stock on the way out.

Tony.

13. AlexG

AlexG ...

I should think it will be 'get in line with the rest of the creditors'.

14. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

i tried to buy some gift vouchers from zavvi three weeks ago and they told me they werent doing them.

It would appear that this isnt a surprise move for them.

15. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

Absolutely. Welcome to the world of business.

That these retailers are all falling over like a pack of cards, after 12 years or more of retail excess and at what should be their best time of year, says to me that the existing retail model is fcuked. Retailers will have to start earning decent margins or get out of the high street completely.

16. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

****ing stupid name for a record shop anyway.

17. Dick Bowman

Dick Bowman Well-Known Member

I wonder whether this is going to be yet another case of going into adminstration and reemerging shortly later with a slightly changed company name, the same managers and owners, but with all debts and former obligations cancelled.

A practice which appears to be becoming more frequent.

18. AlexG

AlexG ...

Comment on that very point in yesterday's Graun

19. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

There's nothing wrong with the retail model on the high street, just the law that says you cannot, as a supplier, charge Internet outlets a higher price, to offset their lower overheads and effectively balance the higher Costs of high street frontage and costs of offering hands on availability through bricks and mortar.

Internet retail didn't exist when these laws where drawn up.

20. NiceLife

NiceLife New Member

We are watching the death-throws of weakest high street players. All sales lost by Zavvi will go to othet high street chains so its good for everyone else. Darwin rules. But if you can buy online at 30% less and the product will fit through your letter box, its only a matter of time. Good job you can't get a haircut online, or a gas cooker through your letterbox, otherwise were all down the tubes.