1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Zep 2

Discussion in 'music' started by Gaius, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Last thing I played tonight.

Zep are such a great band but I don't listen to them regularly these days.

Once in a while though, when the mood takes me there, there is quite simply no other.

Plum copy of Zep II.

The sound is astonishing and for sure one of the very best heavy rock albums recorded.

They still have it today.

2. Gaius

As a pre cursor try and tell me what's better!

3. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

Agree ! Wish I had a plum copy !

4. Gaius

Steve, it's such a good album.

5. Michael J

Michael J pfm Member

Plum is where it's at. I have I, II, and III on plum, not brilliant condition but the sound is still there.

6. RBrinsdon

RBrinsdon pfm Member

If I had to pick one on musical grounds, it would be the fourth for it's diversity but on sentimental grounds I would probably go II.

In Barney Hoskyns excellent Zep tome, JP Jones rates the first as THE album that contains all of the essential Zep to play for the newcomer.

7. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

Indeed, they were, and still are, great. Only yesterday I finally picked up a decent copy of their first album.

However it's a real shame that the Celebration Day CD and vinyl set is so poorly recorded as you'd have thought a very poor tribute band played on that live album.

8. bob atherton

bob atherton pfm Member

What is the best recording of 2 on CD?

9. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Barry Diament's the original Atlantic CD, IMO. Same goes for 1, 3, HOTH, PG and Presence. Joe Sidore did the Zep 4.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The Classic Records reissues are really good too. I've only compared I and IV against a red-plumb and I'd say they were a little different rather than better or worse. (I've got I-IV, HOTH & Physical G). Another not cheap option though!

11. Gaius

I agree, I have III on Classic Records, much better than the green/orange Atlantic, slightly quieter and more refined than the plum.

I have 1-4 on plum, and some spares for a rainy day!

12. bob atherton

bob atherton pfm Member

I'm reading the Robert Plant book at the moment. I didn't know that Led Zep 1 was recorded before they got any recording contract. That might account for its energy and slight lack of swagger compared to the rest. It's my favorite as well, with 2 as a close second.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I & II are where it's at IMO. In fact I'd almost argue the live Albert Hall footage from the first disk of this Led Zep DVD represents their creative peak better than anything on vinyl.

14. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

The Plum/Red versions sound nice. I only have a few. or is that one? I cannot remember.

15. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

It is rumoured (see Steve Hofmann forum) that remastered versions of the Zep catalogue are poised for release on CD with extra tracks.

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

A lot of people over o SH consider the current 'Mastered For iTunes' Led Zep to be rather good and having a lot more dynamic range than the current batch of CDs. I'd expect the upcoming expanded editions to be based around this new mastering. It's great to see Apple being an active force against brickwall compression etc, the Mastered For iTunes white paper can be downloaded here.

17. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Sadly it's not the case according to here

Zep

If it were I would have bought them.

The Data base does confirm how good the DVDA of HTWWW is though - the rip of that is really splendid and captures them in all their pomp at the height of their popularity.

18. Bemused

Bemused What's this all about then?

My best CD copies of the first five albums are on Japanese SHM by quite a margin and all have the correct mix.

19. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

just had a listen to and enjoyed my LZ DVD, which I'd forgotten about - thanks, Tony.

20. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

Just given the plum 2 I picked up a good clean, but it is hissy, which is a shame.

Despite the hiss it is a very fulsome recording.