1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Zep reunion gig at the 02

Discussion in 'music' started by RichardH, Sep 12, 2007.

1. icksilver

icksilver Registered Bodger

Saw them in 75 at Earls Court but don't think I'll go this time, well not at £125 anyway!!!

2. prowla

prowla pfm Member

Well, I registered, so it's wait and see.
    (I addition to shedding a few on the tickets, I'll have to lose a few pounds in weight to wear my Knebworth T-shirt though!)

3. Jim

Jim pfm Member

Dont forget other dimensions.

4. daVros

daVros Turn it up a bit!

Me too!

5. bluefish

bluefish pfm Member

Finally managed to register. I hope they play all the classic stuff. I saw Plant or Page at WOMAD a couple of years ago and walked out before the end after they had murdered a few classics and played a load of new cr*p. I want to hear a Led Zep that sounds at least as good as the tribute bands, such as Fred Zeppelin.

6. Fanny Cradock

Fanny Cradock Legs Akimbo

That's probably the way to approach it , because let's face it , whatever turns up on stage that night ain't the real thing , it will not be Led Zep.

Taking 3 people who used to be in Led Zeppelin , a band who split up 30 years ago FFS and plonking them on stage minus their very very important drummer after probably minimal rehearsal does not Led Zep make . I reckon there's gonna be an awful lot of dissapointment on the night , especially as peoples expectations are gonna be sky high.

There are few things that can depress a person like a much loved band reforming after a long lay off , I wish now I hadn't gone to see The Jesus and Mary Chain last week , I really should know better.

7. bluefish

bluefish pfm Member

Half agree, but the recent Pink Floyd reunions showed that a band really can work hard on rehearsing to put on a good show. I guess they have their pride and are also trying to pay tribute to Ahmet. Would you turn up to a memorial service in jeans without having had a shave (assuming you don't wear a beard)? I hope they respect him with a good show.

8. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

Paying £125, having to sit through Foreigner/ Pete Townsend etc for 40 mins of grey haired old 3/4 of Zep without the cornerstone of the music that was JP Bonham, I just know would be SUCH a let-down & it'd ruin my enjoyment of listening to them subsequently methinks.. couldn't risk it me.

9. prowla

prowla pfm Member

Jason Bonham is a pretty decent drummer, and has played with Page/Plant/Jones before, and has also played with Fred Zeppelin!

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

£125 a seat is utterly absurd. I have no idea how these old farts come up with such astonishingly inflated ideas of their own worth (well, probably years of excessive cocaine use and it's associated narcissism). To be honest I’m not convinced I’d turn up if it was free and within walking distance - I just know it will be disappointing on it’s own, let alone with the sinking feeling one had simultaneously dropped 125 quid. Watching the wonderful 1970 Albert Hall performance from the Led Zeppelin 2xDVD at home would be an infinitely more rewarding experience – IMO they’d lost it by the mid-70s, I hate to think what they’ll be like now firing on three cylinders.

Tony.

11. MarkW

MarkW Full Speed & Pagan

Tony

I am surprised at you! The money goes to charideee, dontcha know. I imagine there will be a portion set aside just in case one of the band has an age related medical emergency. Standby re-sus teams don't come cheap, and they take up valuable space in the car park.

Mark

12. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

Imagine in 20 years a Smiths token 40min gig with Johnny Marr's son playing instead.. for (gets calculator out) about £2763, & with Coldplay and Razorlight up 1st. WRONG.

13. Paul L

Paul L coffee lounge for me

How sad but true. A mate once played me a bootleg called Live on Blueberry Hill, one of those multi-coloured vinyl jobbies. Crap sound but stunning performance, the way they played a medley then was raw and a real journey, I've never heard Bring It on Home played the same way since with it's guitar-drums inter-play of pauses and machine-gun drumming. 1969-71 is definitely the era I would want to be parachuted into for Zep performances. I always loved Physical Graffiti but it was a different band by then. Same as I like the later Eastern influences of No Quarter (as in album not song) but it's bus pass Page and Plant, not Led Zep.

It seems inevitable that you have go with rose tinted spectacles and just appreciate the moment, whichever era you like. If you go in there with an expectation or dwell on the hole in the wallet you're going to be disappointed.

14. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

I'm not a fan of No Quarter, but Walking Into Clarksdale, the 1998 Page & Plant album, is excellent. The song When The World Was Young is, IMHO, the best thing they've ever recorded together.

I would go and see a LZ reunion if they were playing next door and it was free, otherwise I'll make do with the first four LPs, played approx once every 5 years.

-- Ian

15. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I listen to Robert Plant's recent solo stuff more than I listen Led Zep these days (Although I love 3). Dreamland is particularly fab. I'll check out Walking into Clarksdale, it must be better than Outrider or the hideousness that was his LP with David Coverdale.

Old acts in modern stadiums are always a disappointment IME.

The only reformations I plan to catch in the next few months'll be Radio Birdman and (if the promoter pulls it off) The Sonics.

16. moomaloo

moomaloo pfm Member

I know Bob Langley (the recently jailed bootlegger mentioned in this link). I used to buy loads of stuff off him back in the 1980's and 90's. I still saw him a few times at more recent record fairs. I know it's illegal but Bob is a genuine music fan first and foremost. Yes he's probably made a lot of money selling boots but as far as I know he's never passed a boot off as 'genuine product'. He sells to fans who know very well what they are buying. He doesn't force anyone to buy his stuff and he's probably spent more money on Led Zep albums, tickets etc than most people. Does he really deserve to go to jail just because multi-millionaire rock stars and record companies can't be arsed to release the things fans really want to hear?

17. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Anyone who sells Led Zeppelin records deserves to go to jail.

Cheers

Rich

18. moomaloo

moomaloo pfm Member

Oh how we laughed.

19. prowla

prowla pfm Member

It's called theft, even if some choose to think of it as having Robin Hood motives.

20. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Hmm. The news is reporting that they could be playing Belfast as well...