1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Zeppelin at the O2, 10/12/07

Discussion in 'music' started by Zepfan, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan pfm Member

Sorry, posted this in another thread, but thought it was probably worth starting a new one! Was anyone else on the forum lucky enough to attend? What did you think?

Anyway - my initial thoughts...

Wow! Just got back from the best gig I've ever been to!

Bit concerned at first, as they seemed a bit nervous and Pagey's guitar seemed way down in the mix, but I shouldn't have worried as once they'd warmed up - it was just awesome.

Highlights for me were Nobody's Fault but Mine and in particular a blistering version of Kashmir which was the most exciting live sound I've ever heard. Simply magnificent.

It was definitely recorded for possible future release (hell, I think me and the wife will be on it if we make the final edit!) as there was a notice just outside the arena saying just that, and reminding people that they were permitting usage of their image in any future DVD release.

Rock & Roll :)

2. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

Ive been waiting for your thread Zepfan! & Ive read all the available write-ups, which all are top marks (apart from the grauniad's grumbling- waffly usual crap). Im so jealous.. even Jeremy Paxman ended newsnight gloomily saying 'this was the place to be' with a bit of Black Dog over the credits!

So what were the acoustics in that godawful place like? I heard some say that 'once the valves warmed up the sound settled down' (derr.. as if the roadies didn't have them warmed for 20 mins beforehand!). The snippets Ive seen look like Jason Bonham seemed all 'hit em as hard as poss' & not nearly as subtle as his Pa (but hey who can be?) but the papers seemed to rave about him.. and did I spot his dad's see-through ludwig drums?!? wow.. and what about Page's guitar sound? great to spot the same old les paul, and some (8?!) orange & marshall amp heads as basically used to be the case; was it directly reminiscent of his sound? and what about JPJ's organeering? and and.. tell me tell me..

3. spet0114

spet0114 REMPI Member

I think that was a (metaphorical) reference to the players, not their amps! ;)

4. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

Yes maybe I read it wrong.. 'once their valves settled down the sound warmed up'?

5. Zepfan

Zepfan pfm Member

Well, here goes....

Acoustics actually weren't too bad. I'd not been to the O2 before but imagine acoustics to be similar to places such as NEC & MEN (i.e. crap!) I was right up in the Gods, looking down on the stage in a similar position to when I'd seen U2 at the MEN a few years back. Acoustics then were utterly dreadful and so I was concerned....

Anyway, after a newscast (from the Tampa concert included as an extra on the new TSRTS DVD) JB kicked in with the intro to Good Times, Bad Times, lights coming on in time to the bass drum. JP had shades on and Plant was moving round the stage cat-like (rather than lion-like, like 30 years earlier!).

To say the crowd went wild was an understatement!! TBH, though I felt they seemed a little nervous (unsurprising really!!) and it was clear they hadn't played together for some time. They then moved on to Ramble On and at this stage I was a bit concerned, JP's guitar was right down in the mix and the drums and vocals were right to the front, but RP's voice sounded a bit "cold" and I was having visions of the whole thing being a disappointment. Things picked up with Black Dog and then they moved into In My Time of Dying and suddenly it was like a different band. Pagey's guitar was right on the button, JPJ and JB were providing the backbone and RP's voice was right where it was needed.

After that they were just simply awesome. Great versions of No Quarter, For Your Life, Since I've been Loving You amongst others, as well as a 10 minute(!!) version of Dazed & Confused complete with violin bow. When that one started up I was expecting a full 25-30 min guitar-fest, but it worked really well. RP introduced D&C saying that there were some songs that simply had to be played no matter what the band thought of them, so I was expecting Stairway.

That came next. And despite its over-familiarity, it was bloody brilliant!! RP in particular sounded fantastic. I was a little distracted by someone being removed by security about 5 rows in front, but this banished the demons of Live Aid for sure!

Apparantly there were people from 50 countries there last night and Plant introduced a song as being the 51st..... Kashmir

Now, this is my favourite Zep song and it utterly, utterly blew me away. Page was on fire and JPJ really held it together whilst Plant summoned demons from outer space. Simply hypnotic and magical and I still get goosebumps thinking about it. The band were really tight by this stage and JP's smile part-way through made my evening.

That was the main part of the set - Whole Lotta Love and Rock & Roll for the encores. Good without reaching the heights of Kashmir.

Any disappointments? Well, it would have have been nice to have had an acoustic set, but that's being picky! This was the business, and anyone doubting whether they could still cut it would surely have been persuaded.

Fantastic!

6. Zepfan

Zepfan pfm Member

7. Fanny Cradock

Fanny Cradock Legs Akimbo

Plant looks like he has an intimate itch he just cannot get rid of.

I'm glad I didn't go , I would have hated to find out they don't in fact have supernatural powers.

8. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

Im really depressed. Ive just seen a few of the youtubes.. Pages guitar sounds absolutely spot-on, as right as it was before the over bloated 80's concerts- particularly the SG (s) on Stairway even with shit phone recordings.. god to hear THAT guitar sound live.. Im so depressed. There may be hope though with a tour? but hey chances of tickets...

thanks for the report Zepfan- you lucky man! good for you.. I honestly didn't think they could pull that off so well so didn't try for tickets (I couldn't afford one either).

9. Michael L

Michael L pfm Member

Git.
    Gitgitgitgitgit.

10. zener

zener fluff

there seems to be a genuine buzz about the whole reunion , like it had to and should have happened , like welcome back for a long lost friend. Looking forward to the DVD:)

11. icksilver

icksilver Registered Bodger

My son has just returned from college and informed me that someone at college had the chance for tickets in the draw but forgot it was on yesterday and ended up missing it.

What a plonker!!!!

12. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

excellent that's lifted my depression a bit.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan pfm Member

I know what you mean. I was hoping for great things, but in my heart of hearts wondered whether it would be a disappointment.

I'll be honest I was so paranoid before this concert that something, somewhere would go horribly wrong and that I wouldn't get to see it,that it was only when I was sitting down at 6.15 last night that I truly relaxed!

14. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

Wow, Page has the Monster Tone going on. I don't think that's straight Les Paul-->Marshall, but if it is, Gibson and Marshall should be grinning like fools.

15. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

Mix of Marshall and Orange amps just like he always used! with Marshall and Engl cabs (Marshall & Orange cabs in the 70s)- Ive never heard guitar/amp tone that comes anywhere near his. I think his gibson(s) were tweaked for tone too (quite possibly amps too) by a personal gibson merlin fed & kept in his case.. but ultimately its his wizard's hands that make it.

16. Fanny Cradock

Fanny Cradock Legs Akimbo

What on earth is Bonham doing to Kashmir , he needs a second bass drum and he should then apply to join Motley Crue.

17. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

Yes I have serious reservations.. I thought he & his drums were going to go upside-down at one point. Pa had so much subtlety amongst his thunder, and as to his timing words ain't worthy.. not alot passed on by the looks of it.. he's a bit of a caveman. Harsh but true?

18. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

I wasn't going to say anything, but I like the drummer from the No Quarter thing better.

19. trancera

trancera pfm Member

Absolute bstrds the lot of them getting to watch Stairway live. I have reservations too, but still, even though its far from perfect, nothing touches them ...

20. prowla

prowla pfm Member

From those clips it was good to see that Plant tried to sing the songs rather than bail out of every high note like he used to.