1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Zeppelin at the O2, 10/12/07

Discussion in 'music' started by Zepfan, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mykel

mykel Fat guy flying.

5.5 hours and counting for me here in the Canukistan colonies.

michael

2. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

The feed's from the rehearsal session John and it's very good.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan pfm Member

Enjoy Michael.

I'm just setting off to the cinema. T minus 65 minutes and counting.....

4. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

Thanks, a buddy of mine has been promising me a copy.

5. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

John I also ripped my 24bit/48khz DVD-A of How The West Was Won a few months ago.

Now that really IS good.

6. spet0114

spet0114 REMPI Member

There's a second showing on sunday afternoon at our local...

7. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

Our local cinema is showing it tomorrow night at 11.00pm (Friday), and we have our tickets.
    Looking at the trailer, I just can't understand why they (RP mainly) doesn't want to do a bunch of these gigs.
    Makes me think of this:

There's a pulse in the new-born sun;
    A beat in the heat of noon;
    There's a song as the day grows long,
    And a tempo in the tides of the moon.
    It's all around us and it's everywhere,
    And it's deeper than Royal blue.
    And it feels so real you can feel the feeling!
    And that's The Majesty Of Rock!
    The fantasy of Roll!
    The ticking of the clock,
    The wailing of the soul!
    The prisoner in the dock,
    The digger in the hole,
    We're in this together...and ever...
    In the shade of a jungle glade,
    Or the rush of the crushing street,
    On the plain, on the foamy main,
    You can never escape from the beat.
    It's in the mud and it's in your blood
    And its conquest is complete.
    And all that you can do is just surrender.
    To the Majesty of Rock!
    The Pageantry of Roll!
    The crowing of the cock,
    The running of the foal!
    The shepherd with his flock,
    The miner with his coal,
    When we die, do we haunt the sky?
    Do we lurk in the murk of the seas?
    What then? Are we born again?
    Just to sit asking questions like these?
    I know, for I told me so,
    And I'm sure each of you quite agrees:
    The more it stays the same, the less it changes!
    And that's The Majesty Of Rock!
    The Mystery of Roll!
    The darning of the sock,
    The scoring of the goal!
    The farmer takes a wife
    The barber takes a pole.

8. canonman

canonman pfm Member

I saw it last night at Cineworld. Overall, good but far too much solarization footage in 4:3 used. That's an effect that went out eons ago. Seemed to be using the stereo track (they had a full on surround set up) that started at way too low a volume (witness calls of "turn it UP!") but got better and finished brilliantly.

Half full auditorium too...

9. bob atherton

bob atherton pfm Member

The volume thing made me smile as at the gig I was thinking I wish they would turn it down a bit. It was bloody loud!

10. RichardH

RichardH Bodging pleb

Yes, I went to see it last night and it was about half way through Black Dog that it suddenly started to gel, and Bonham jnr started to get the funk into his playing.

11. Engels

Engels pfm Member

Saw it last night in Bristol - also half-full auditorium gree that the cinema could have run at above Fader 7, but they are very wary of complaints if averaged loudness goes above the limits. Movies and trailers run "hot" sometimes but tend to be short explosive music and effects, a rock concert has high levels for extended periods.

Jason really is a chip off the old block, JPJ clearly thoroughly enjoyed himself and Page worked his socks off but understandably has lost some of the fluidity his younger self displayed in solos. The whole things obviously meant a lot to Plant too, but maybe he doesnt need LZ as much as the other 3 do. They were in the studio before the Olympics, but maybe just for clean-up of this soundtrack, although rumour is there was some original new material tried.

Interesting to see there will be a DVD, Bluray, CD and digital download made available in time for Xmas.

12. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

I can see me getting the surround sound system with subwoofer out of the attic over Christmas. :)

Links to Amazon pre-orders here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celebration-Day-DVD-DVD-Case-NTSC/dp/B009E3EWPI/ref=pd_cp_d_h__0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celebration-Day-Blu-ray-Blu-ray-Case-EU-only/dp/B009KLGZTU/ref=pd_cp_d_h__2 (What does EU only mean?)

And this looks like the one to get

13. canonman

canonman pfm Member

14. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

In a way this is a sad time, as it's likely this is the end forever. This is Achilles last stand.
    I can remember as a small boy being beside myself with joy when Christmas morning came, and how devastated I felt when the day was over for a year and I had to go to bed, but I can't imagine what it must have been like for Jimmy Page to walk onto that stage to fulfil the dream of playing with Zep again, and how crushing it must have felt as the evening came to close. As I see it, it became his sole reason for being alive. There was nothing that meant a fraction of what Led Zeppelin meant to him and now seeing this project being completed and released must be the onset of another gaping hole in his life.
    I feel very sorry for Jimmy Page, and I feel sorry for us too, because Jimmy and millions of people want it, but one Planty resisting is enough to make it not happen. It's cruel.
    I wish JP could get another band together, move on and find fulfilment elsewhere.

15. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

Oh..and another thing. If you still haven't got this on vinyl, then I don't understand what you are playing at.

16. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

No one but himself is stopping JP putting out new material. But what he's done post Zep hasn't set the world aflame, so I can understand him focussing on his role as curator of the Zeppelin legacy.

17. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

He needs a band situation. He keeps trying to do stuff solo, and he's just not good like that. I stupidly bought Lucifer Rising on vinyl which is the biggest pile of poo I own.

18. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Zep cannot be recreated. There was synergy beyond individual talents and they were in their prime. It was (self)destructive at times and Bonham died. As much as we all wanted it to go on forever it is better to have the memory of the greatest rock band than to see a sad decline. Takes a great man to make and keep that decision and turn down tens or even hundreds of millions of pounds each. Respect.

19. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

You are right of course.

Ever wondered why people play Since I've Been Loving You but regularly overlook Tea For One off Prescence?

20. Zepfan

Zepfan pfm Member

Really enjoyed that, but boy was the sound poor: too quiet and where I saw it (Didsbury), there seemed to be a fault with the speakers with some of the front channel cutting out on occasions. Either that, or my ears really are wrecked.