1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Zeppelin

Discussion in 'music' started by Gaius, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

I have all the albums on the orange/green label and CD, I'm always on the look out for the plum copies but they are getting very expensive and have had no joy chasing down a classic records copy. (1-4 here)

How is the sound quality of Mothership vinyl, has anyone been able to compare?

Also anyone selling nice copies let me know.

Many thanks for your comments.

2. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

I have Mothership, its good but not outstounding IMHO, maybe I was expecting too much.

3. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

The SHM CDs are not good to my ears.

4. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

Hmm I have plum first album from the days of 1st release but have heard more detail from nothership cd's

Vinyl sound is yes nice but accessed detail and nuances were obvious for me on cd. Mind you its on a Linn Ittok or 401/rega 300 so nothing too exotic

5. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

I have Mothership on vinyl ' it sounds very good to me , a big improvement on the Digital remasters box from 1990 , but as always the original 1st issues are most likely better .

6. Gaius

Muzzer, do you think it's better than the orange/green presses?

I'm only interested in the vinyl.

My player is Sondek/TikTok/Trokia, not too exotic but really nice.

Chris, just got your post, this was the sort of thing I was after, thanks and no a 1st press is hard to beat.

7. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Can't say I have heard them so I cannot compare, its the vinyl Mothership I have. Don't get me wrong it is good and you can pick it up at a good price now so I say go for it, your front end is similar to mine except I have a Klyde.

8. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

It's a dilemma.
    I recently bought a plum labelled Led Zeppelin II for £18, and didn't know what to expect - but it was worth a punt just to see. It is a 1969 copy with the lemon Song credit on the label, which puts it into some sort of rarity category.
    Although listed (not here I hasten to add) as vg, it has obviously spent it's life being played on something that a 17 year old would have had in a bedroom in 1969 and the grooves have suffered accordingly, and it is extremely crackly with pops and scratches all through it.
    Considering a mint copy would sell for £100-£200, this copy at £18 is pretty much as expected and I didn't end up getting something for nothing - but hey, nothing ventured and all that.

Between the noise I can still tell that the pressing is as good as any audiophile issue and the sound is full, powerful, fat, detailed and large. Oldie recently put on a copy of IV (I think) which was on a German issue of the Atlantic orange/green label probably from the 80s, and the sound quality was cramped and woolly and not very good at all to be honest. Maybe 70s Atlantic orange/green labels are better, or any UK or USA pressing, but doubt they would be as good as what lies beneath the shit on the plum copy I have. I can still tell it's the best Zep in there, but instead of being inside I'm out the front with no ticket and watching through a dirty window. What vintage are the copies you have? It's difficult to know how good the ones you already have are.

Bottom line is that if you want the plum versions, it'll either take huge amounts of money or a dedicated long term mission of buying and selling until you are satisfied. It depends how important it is to you, but it seems that the value of these early pressings is well known and you are unlikely to get what you want without either investment one way or another. However, if you want the best vinyl copies of these albums, I don't think there is an alternative.
    I would suggest you buy and sell a few copies until you know what you are ultimately after. If you do spend lots on a great copy, you will always get your money back if you change your mind.

9. jimi

jimi pfm Member

For me the plum copies are best having owned 70s & 90s orange and green labels and also a Classic recrds LZ 1V, I still have all the plum copies in excellent condition and they sound great.

10. Gaius

Lucky Bastard!!!!!!!

11. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

I have the CR ones and they're really good - and they can be bought for reasonable money if you are prepared to wait. I've only heard 1st issues on crappy record players - because that's all we had at the time. In the late 60s/early 70s people that liked Led Zep didn't have 'Hi-Fi' systems - they were more for old foggies with classical tastes, so most of the first presses will be knackered by now.

12. prowla

prowla pfm Member

I sold a plum Led Zep I with cyan writing for a few hundred quid a couple of years ago.

13. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

I've got 1, III and IV on the plum label. God knows what happened to II.

I've owned them since the Seventies, and dragged them around flats that I've shared, so they haven't had the best of treatment - especially when everybody was stoned and drunk.

The cover and label of the first album has got the name of its previous owner - some kid that I went to school with.

Despite the surface noise and rare small scratch, they play all the way through and don't stick.

They are sonically pretty bloody strong in all musical areas. It has given me the desire the buy some fresher ones, but they are bleeding expensive.

Maybe I should sell the Linn, invest in a better DAC, and play lossless digital copies. No problems with surface noise or scratches in that mode.

In the meantime, I really should clean them with a bit of warm water and washing up liquid.

They've got four decades of grime in them.

Jack

14. Gaius

Yes, since this thread began I now have a plum III and three copies of a plum IV, one of which is quite minty, the others are VG/EX.

My conclusion will be no surprise; the plums are far better than anything else and such LOUD cuts, simply the way Zep should sound.

15. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Gaius
    Like you, I've been searching for good quality plum copies of the 1st 4. I've now got great copies of II, III and IV (all sound fantastic), and I bought a Classic copy of I. The latter is a revelation - stunning sonics on possibly their best recording.

I luckily picked up a Classic copy of Presence for under £20 from a German seller: also brilliant. I'm now going to hunt down Classic versions of the rest. It sometimes pays to look at eBay in different countries, as sales don't always show in the Worldwide section of UK eBay.

16. TOFFEEMAN1878

TOFFEEMAN1878 Chosen Not Manufactured

I,have 1 11 111 1V HOTH, PG, Presence& In Through the Outdoor,all bought on the day of release,& like Jack took the early ones to quite a few parties,so condition of 1& 11 is not that great something a Moth might fix though!

17. audioman

audioman pfm Member

Had a plum LZ II not long ago that was in ex condition. Not the very first press but early. Frankly in comparison to the often derided (by some) Classic records pressing I was disappointed. Errs on the muddy side though nicely balanced sound. Many consider early US pressings superior. Anyway sold it on at a profit but certainly did not approach a 3 figure sum.

I think Classic were the deal when in print given the silly prices for originals of LZ titles. Themusic.com have dug up some oop titles at normal prices in the last week or so. (but most have now gone).

18. John

John TDS free

The Mothership collection is very nice for the money, I would get it regardless if you're a fan of the group.

19. Gaius

Robert Plant is in this months MOJO magazine.

:)

20. Gaius

Tonight I have been full of smiles and grins listening to my latest plum; Zep II, I think it's the best recording but still have to track down Zep I.

If you like the band these are a must, if a tad expensive.

Crystal, LOUD and weighty, love it....