1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero 7 - The Garden

Discussion in 'music' started by Ian Hughes, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Ian Hughes

Ian Hughes pfm Member

If anyone is thinking of buying this album on vinyl - be aware that the discs are 45 rpm - so make sure your deck can play it!

2. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

They're one of my claims to fame, Rob Mullarkey who plays bass with them played bass in my band we had at school. Needless to say he made a wise career move!

3. thedanfan

thedanfan pfm Member

Cracking album - their best yet to my ears

4. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

Wallpaper?

5. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

Well I thought it couldn't be any worse than When it Falls (aka "When Paint Dries"); homogenous, inane, radio-friendly pap for stoners and angle-iron lava lamp nuts alike. I found it yet another slide down the slippery slope. Music for the prozac generation. Dull, unimaginative and safe for 40-somethings who are too smart for dad rock but who lost touch with the club scene.

Also typical that someone calling himself "thedanfan" would like it. Its of a broadly similar genre. Smartass noodly safe **** filled with knowing nods and winks. Ultimately an empty puffball. A mere sickly sweet sugary confection. Great for an iPod though which says it all.

Ghastly. Returned mine after two plays and I begrudge Zero 7 the couple of hours of my life they have wasted. Avoid (unless "well-produced audio candy that shows your HiFi in a good light" is what appeals to you).

6. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

A guess based on seeing/hearing the TV advert.

7. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Come on fox, tell us what you really think about this album:D

8. thedanfan

thedanfan pfm Member

Hey bollox shut it - don't diss The Dan

9. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

The Dan: wallpaper.

10. Fox

...or what?

11. GreatNorthWood

GreatNorthWood pfm Member

But you still went and bought the new one - clever.

Too many drugs fella?

12. GreatNorthWood

GreatNorthWood pfm Member

That was a :) btw

13. Fox

The first Zero 7 LP was a really good start with promise of more to come. I don't write off a band after just one asswipe LP. I'm prepared to after two though.

I bought a few of "The Dan's" LPs hoping I was buying duff ones before giving up... in fact it turned out they only release duff uns.

14. jagdesign

jagdesign pfm Member

I like Zero 7 a lot but gave The Garden a miss after seeing some reviews. Was in Rise in Bristol on thurs and to my surprise they had a copy on vinyl, so I bought it. Just listening to it now, musically, not their best but still a good album IMO. Pretty stunned by how good it sounds on vinyl though.

15. Dr_Evil

Dr_Evil Necessary evil

Couldn't agree more.

Great first album followed by a steady decline. Shame.

16. panda

panda pfm Member

when it falls is good album for playing outdoors while having a bbq and chilling out

17. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

So you are not keen, then Fox?

I have to say that I completely agree with your analysis.

Chris

18. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

In the context of the early 70s, the first 3 Dan albums were pretty good, IMHO. But my, god, I don't think any band descended into unlistenability faster than they did after that.

Chris

19. billo

billo pfm Member

But, it should be played @78 rpm just to make it danceable ;)

20. Fox

Not quite sure how I feel about a 5 year old zombie thread being resurrected, as people can change considerably in that time... My brain has been effectively rewired twice in that time, but amazingly I do feel the same about zero 7 and steely dan.