1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero car emissions by 2050!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by muzzer, Sep 12, 2013.

1. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

2. sewo3

sewo3 pfm Member

Zero emissions are impossible, electric cars have to be charged via a generating station. Been past Ferrybridge lately.

3. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Scotland is blessed with one of the best renewable energy resources in the world.

Onshore and offshore wind but the real long term biggie is tidal devices that are set to go big time within a decade. You should read up on the trials currently underway around Orkney Islands. Tidal device yields are predictable ...you only have to read a tidal chart!

Its been dubbed the Saudi Arabia of renewable energy for good reason.

4. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

As is usual in the country, they will do sod all until we start having blackouts. Same thing with all our infrastructure.

5. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

Indeed, the hot air coming out of the First Minister's office in Holyrood could be used to generate power. However Alex Salmond won't live forever.

6. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

And another £14 million in car rental charges when anyone needs to drive more than 50 miles in one day.

An electric rubbish truck? Don't think so.

7. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

It's still cherry-picking the facts. The infrastructure still has to be manufactured.
    Someone needs to define 'zero emission'. Shifting the burden elsewhere in the chain is not a solution, it's political bullshit.

8. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Still a way to go before it's too cheap to meter.
    Apparently salt water, steel and electricity combine badly.

9. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

If you fight against it, yes.
    If you use it, no.

10. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Yes, there is some BS in there but if you do the research you'll learn that this part of the world has certain conditions that are the envy of the rest of the world.

Relatively shallow waters extending a long way out is a big part of this.

If you see what's happening behind the scenes I think you'd be impressed. There is a new industrial revoltion happening here.

11. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

Yes, the future looks good, but not at the hands of politicians. But can you trust the energy companies either?

12. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

That explains why Salmond wants independence sooner than later. :eek:

Yes, he could provide several MW of wind-powered electricity all by himself. :D

Don't you mean "rubbish electric truck". :D

AP

13. GTM

GTM Resitance is futile

2050 is a long way off. I suspect a significant proportion of the contributors of this forum will be dead by then. I know I'll certainly be living out my twilight years at best. :D

14. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Bingo!

Doubters should have a poke around at the maps in this link. In general just Google "Crown Estates Round 3". Massive areas offshore have been leased out to operators. Offshore turbines with diameters of circa 220 metres are in development (turbines you currently see on the hills are about 70-80m). This thing is snowballing and countries that can derive their own energy will be winners in the big bad world of 2050.

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/energy-infrastructure/offshore-wind-energy/our-portfolio/round-3-wind-farms/

15. Daniel Quinn

Daniel Quinn Banned

Seems to me , nobody on this forum need worry , we will all be dead :D

16. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

They had electric rubbish trucks in i think it was Birmingham in the 1970s, where most of the rubbish was recycled.

17. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Were the rubbish trucks recycled too?

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

They are these days. With steel at £150 a tonne you can't afford not to.

19. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

IMHO, tidal energy is the only real way forward. Its there already and is constant, predictable and probably holds the greatest forces of nature we have on tap.

20. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Industry insiders are basically saying proper wave and tidal arrays are just under a decade away. As well as tidal, the Atlantic is a great wave energy resource...partly because waves come in at a fairly constant frequency so resonance tuned devices can be used.

Some tidal devices are still at the stage of...put them down for a trial for a few months, bring them back to the surface with bits ripped off ...scratching heads time. Google Openhydro as an example. http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/nova-scotia/story/1.1075510

Big players such as Rolls Royce, ABB are busy buying up these start-ups. It reminds me of 1970/80's PC industry.

If The UK and Ireland play their cards right, they could hold alot of Euro power in 20-30 years based in energy supply.