1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Zimbabwe coup?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Looks to be much stuff going on over there. One can only hope it will spell the end of Mugabe, but I suspect that is wishful thinking... BBC.

2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Mugabe may stay on as a figurehead but I would imagine his power is gone - little chance in the short term of those who take over power being much of an improvement though.

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Where’s Priti? Anyone checked to see if she visited recently?

maxflinn likes this.
  4. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I think its his wife that is the real worry and may have been the catalyst for this.

mykel likes this.
  5. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Mugabe and family are being "protected" by the Zim army while the generals clean out the corrupt criminals and thieves around the hero of the revolution. I think that means house arrest. Expect a resignation for health reasons in the near future.

6. wacko

wacko pfm Member

He is 93. Don't these buggers ever bugger off ? Only the good die young: proof again there is no god.

Nic Robinson likes this.
  7. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

That was my first thought. As mentioned above I suspect the issue is with his wife’s succession. Apparently one of the military leaders was in China a short while ago, I doubt that’s a coincidence.

I’ve put aside an unopened tub of popcorn while I wait for the conspiracy theories to arrive.

8. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

China will be right in there, just look at Namibia.

It's the modern way to do colonialism, cheaper but just as abusive.

9. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Is that wholly correct though ? Does not China do major infrastructure projects throughout Africa.

10. djftw

djftw Heterodox Member

Where it suits their interests yes. "Colonialism" might be over-egging it, but it certainly isn't pure altruism!

From what I can gather the "coup" in Zimbabwe such as it is, is the military strongmen who have kept Mugabe in power and have probably been more powerful in practice for some time deciding that it is time for him to retire before anyone else gets any funny ideas about succession...

11. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

I see it's being claimed as a 'bloodless correction' rather than a coup...

Mick

12. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Could do with a couple of "bloodless corrections" in the UK and US.

kendo and thejoker like this.
  13. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Just a struggle between 2 parts of Zanu party. The part that wants Grace Mugabe to succeed and the part that doesn't.

14. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Surely Israel and Mossad must be involved.

15. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

Apparently, at least one bodyguard has been killed and soldiers are beating police, so not entirely bloodless.

Morgan Tsvangirai of the opposition MDC, who once looked like a decent hope for Zimbabwe, is frail and recovering from hospital treatment in South Africa.

16. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

It is being reported The Johnson has launched a freedom for Mugabee campaign.

In due course this will taken out of context and used as evidence.

17. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

About time! Unfortunately I doubt that what replaces it will be any better... The west has a strange affliction in it's helping of countries suffering from human rights abuses, mass murder etc etc... it seems to need oil to be there first before wanting to help on the grounds of "freedom and democracy"

18. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Apparenly Boris insists Mugabe was only on holiday in Zimbabwe.

Still likes this.
  19. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Hope Zim gets a decent government at last. Mugabe is evil

20. SteveT

SteveT pfm Member

Lets hope one of the criminals that the army are rounding up is Nicholas Van Hoogstraten who has bankrolled Mugabe for years. Lets hope it bankrupts the scumbag.